USING DIFFERANT START UP DISK ????

yorkieval 11:15 29 Jan 03

Hi, My firnds little boy has lost his emergency start up disk and needs to re-install windows. Can I just use all the disks that came with my computer to re-do his. Thanks in advance Val..

leo49 11:19 29 Jan 03

2 choices - download another startup disk from a variety of sites eg,

click here

or from 98se onwards set the bios to boot from CDROM and whack in your Windows CD.

Regards

jazzypop 11:19 29 Jan 03

If they are both the same version of Windows (e.g. Win 98 or Win ME), there will no problem using your boot floppy.

If they are different versions, you would do better to download a generic boot floppy for the specific version of Windows that he has. A good place to start is click here

jazzypop 11:20 29 Jan 03

Or, as leo40 rightly says, just boot from the CD :)

yorkieval 11:24 29 Jan 03

Hi Thanks for the answers, He has win 98 se the same as me. The only problem is that I have 3 CDs which came with my computer with all sorts of stuff on them. I have no idea where windows is on these disks. Do I just pop them in, as they tell you too. ie. boot disk with CD1. then 2 then 3....Sorry but I am a complete novice...Val

Legolas 11:30 29 Jan 03

You could probably use your boot up floppy but if you are talking about a rescue cd-rom that you got with your system I would be wary of using this I had a rescue disk and floppy with a Tiny system I bought then when I got a new computer my curiosity made me try the rescue disks on the new system I will only say that I then spent a few bob on calls to the suppotr desk of my new system where I had the embarrassing task of explaning what I

Legolas 11:32 29 Jan 03

You could probably use your boot up floppy but if you are talking about a rescue cd-rom that you got with your system I would be wary of using this I had a rescue disk and floppy with a Tiny system I bought then when I got a new computer my curiosity made me try the rescue disks on the new system I will only say that I then spent a few bob on calls to the support desk of my new system where I had the embarrassing task of explaning what I done.

jazzypop 11:33 29 Jan 03

No - do not put your CDs into his system.

On your PC,

Put a blank floppy disk in the floppy drive.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.

Double click the Add/Remove Programs icon.

Click the Startup Disk tab.

Click the Create Disk button

You will now have a floppy disk that can be used to start his system.

See click here for how to reinstall Windows.

yorkieval 11:35 29 Jan 03

Hi Jazzypop. I am doing your instructions now. I will get back to you....Val

yorkieval 11:50 29 Jan 03

Hi Jazzy, I have done that. But as fas as re-installing windows 98se. I dont know where it is on the three discks that came with my computer. So shall I just put all three cds in, in the order that I was instructed to when I got my computer. It tell you to put the boot disk in with the no. 1 cd. then when thats finished no. 2 then 3. Thanks Val...........

jazzypop 12:08 29 Jan 03

No, no, no, no, no. And no :)

Use the floppy disk that you have created to boot his PC, then insert *his* W98 CD.

The link I gave you before tells you how to reinstall, but it is a very bad idea to try using your 3 CDs to install Windows on someone else's PC.

It also breaches lots of licence conditions that come with Windows, and if (as I suspect) yours is a Time PC or some other similar company, they will simply not work on his PC.

I hope that is clear :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced