Using D-Link Wireless Modem/Router as a Router

janzen 13:56 27 Jul 06

Hi All

I have a D-Link Wireless Modem/Router but now I've changed from ADSL to Cable (NTL).

I want to change the Wireless Router settings to act as a simple router so I can connect it directly to the Cable modem.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
J

ade.h 14:15 27 Jul 06

Cannot be done. You'd need an Ethernet WAN port on the back for the cable modem, the router would have to be capable of disabling its own modem and accepting the PPPoE protocol from the cable modem. If it could be done, we'd all be using the same type of modem. Get a WRT54 or something like that.

FelixTCat 14:58 27 Jul 06

janzen,

I'm afraid ade.h is right about the D-Link, as I found some time ago. However, this is not the case with every adsl modem wireless router. I have very recently tried this with a BT 2110 and it works, even without switching off the modem provided that the phone line is unplugged.

Regards,

Felix

ade.h 15:22 27 Jul 06

The 2110 will no doubt switch it off automatically. I assume that it has a dedicated WAN port, or does it adapt one of its LAN ports?

FelixTCat 15:25 27 Jul 06

Hi ade.h,

I just used a normal lan port. Got both wired and wireless connectivity and internet access.

Felix

mgmcc 17:23 27 Jul 06

<<< I just used a normal lan port. Got both wired and wireless connectivity and internet access. >>>

What you have effectively done is to use the Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point. By using a LAN port, it will pass the IP address allocated by the ISP to the computer that connects wirelessly to it. However, it isn't acting as a router so more than one computer would be unable to get an IP address to connect to the network or internet.

...unless you really have found the "Holy Grail" ;)

ade.h 17:42 27 Jul 06

I don't think the Holy Grail would have "BT" stamped on it!

FelixTCat 19:09 27 Jul 06

mgmcc,

You're quite right. When I saw your post I went back and had another look. The cable modem was feeding a very old Netgear wireless router whose wireless card had long since given up the ghost. That was feeding the BT device.

Still, my D-Link wouldn't work like that!

Regards,

Felix

PS We shouldn't use janzen's thread for this, interesting though it is.

janzen 18:19 28 Jul 06

Thanks guys for your advise. I bought a Belkin wireless G router and gonna sell the modem/router on eBay unless somebody's interested in a D-Link DSL-G604T? lemme know if yes
Cheers
J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now