Using a D-Link DSL-G604T with an NTL set-top box

david625 19:23 06 Nov 05

This probably makes little sense and is certainly not the easiest way to go about things, but I have an NTL broadband connection (via set-top box, i.e. something like a cable modem) and a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL router -- a wierd combination I know -- and want to get them to talk to one another.

The DSL router has an ADSL uplink port and of course expects to connect to a telephone socket, but the NTL box only provides an Ethernet broadband connection. So is there a way to persuade the DSL router to work with the NTL box? I.e. to get the DSL router to ignore its ADSL uplink and simply act like a dumb switch and / or wireless access point, using one of its 4 Ethernet ports to talk to the NTL box.

At the moment, my laptop can happily talk to the router and I can access the admin page, but I can't ping any addresses on the internet and I don't see how to tell the router to route everything to one of the Ethernet ports instead of the ADSL uplink.

Or must I accept that square pegs really don't go into round holes, and invest in something like the D-Link DI-624+?

Thanks in advance for any advice
David

mgmcc 19:33 06 Nov 05

<<< So is there a way to persuade the DSL router to work with the NTL box? >>>

You have a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" which cannot be used in conjunction with Cable Broadband - period!

You need a "stand-alone" router that connects to a separate modem by ethernet cable.

mgmcc 19:37 06 Nov 05

<<< something like the D-Link DI-624+ >>>

Be careful with that reference as there appear to be several different models, both with and without built-in ADSL Modem!

david625 20:46 06 Nov 05

Thanks for the bad news ;-)

Regards
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…