Using compatible ink cartridges without chips

sheila.weston 12:48 31 Oct 09

I have bought some compatible ink cartridges (from Novatech) for my Canon Pixma iP4300 printer. They haven't got a chip. A salesman at a Comet store told me that the chip wasn't really necessary. However, on opening the Magenta pack there is a slip of paper telling me to remove the chip from the old canon cartridge and click it on the front of the compatible cartridge. I have done this, but when I put it into the printer an error warning came up.

I forget what the error said but if I try to print a test page now I am told that TWO ink-tanks are not installed in place - Magenta AND Cyan. When I open the printer lid to see the ink-holders, there is no light atall in front of the new magenta ink and also a flashing red light in front of the cyan ink cartridge which has 0.5cm of ink still.

I have tried deep nozzle cleaning and print-head alignement, but get the same error.

Any suggestions - apart from order a set of canon inks. Is the Comet salesman correct in saying that the chips aren't really necessary?

Michael_R 13:11 31 Oct 09

I used to use ink that needed the chip replaced. This link will tell you what you need to do. click here
I now buy chipped ink from here click here and here click here
As to Comet well.........If your printer has a chipped ink it will not print with ink that does not have a chip. Why else would Canon go to all that trouble!

beeuuem 14:43 31 Oct 09

The chips are necessary.
If there is no light in front of the Magenta cartridge it suggests that the chip is not being recognised. The chip does have to be aligned accurately. Have you tried removing and reinserting the cartridge?
From the manual

Ink lamp is flashing

Flashing slowly (at around 3-second intervals)

Ink is low. You can continue printing for a while, but we recommend you to have a new ink tank available.

sheila.weston 11:09 01 Nov 09

Many thanks beeuuem. I have now replaced the cyan cartridge with a compatible and light in front shows OK. Still no light on the magenta. Are the chips specific to the ink colour? I have an empty YELLOW cartridge. Could I use the chip from that without damaging the printer?

anniesboy 11:42 01 Nov 09

I used non chipped in the past but gave up because it was a bit of a fiddle,and some suppliers seem to have stopped selling them.
When I was replacing the chip the light did not show ,and the only way of checking ink level was physically look.
Not sure if chip has to be "married" to a particular colour.
I have found Jet Tec cartridges to be very good from click here
Somewhat cheaper than originals.

beeuuem 15:01 01 Nov 09

The chips are specific to the colour,i.e. if you put a yellow cartridge in the magenta position the printer recognises that it is the wrong one and will tell you so in the display.
Sometimes just a little movement of the chip is all tat is needed for it to be lined up and recognised.

blanco 18:47 01 Nov 09

I also got fed up with the transfer of chips each time I had to change a cartridge so recently I have used ijtdirect.co.uk where the refills come already chipped and, with fairly regular special offers, are decently priced.

woodchip 18:53 01 Nov 09

Why mess with unchiped when you can get them hear with chips click here=

woodchip 18:55 01 Nov 09

Why mess with unchiped when you can get them hear with chips click here=

click here

sheila.weston 22:48 01 Nov 09

Yes, I agree. I actually wanted the original Canon cartridges, having had problems with an order for chipped compatibles which were sent wrongly! They were ordered over the 'phone and there was a slight communication problem - also, I should have asked the price, when I would have known something was wrong. It never rains, but it pours!

Simsy 22:56 01 Nov 09

click here

They come with chips and provide a good service.

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…