//some 3rd party need geo

Using Compact Flash Card as Hard Drive

justrr 22:10 20 Mar 03

I have read that a compact flash card, as used in digital cameras, can be used as a hard drive via a USB card reader.
Does this mean that the card reader can also write from a PC to the compact flash card?

howard60 22:19 20 Mar 03

but without the specific software it can only load the contents of the card to the pc or delete the cards contents.

hssutton 22:39 20 Mar 03

As Howards says yes you can, but I disagree with his other statement. I have no other specific software, just the C/flash reader's driver.
Just as a test, I copied your posting into word and saved it to a C/flash card without any problems.

Harry

steve0 22:48 20 Mar 03

I use one all the time to transfer files back and forward to work. It is very quick and less hassle than burning to CD

accord 22:58 20 Mar 03

yes they can and also compact flash cards will soon be available in 4gig

click here

just think, my first hard drive was 1.2gig.....

Cordy13 23:48 20 Mar 03

As a storage medium, they are excellent but rather small at present. Just wait, however, until the price of 4GB comes down! 10 GB is probably not far away.

Bagsey 08:25 21 Mar 03

They are an excellent way of carrying data between home and office. I use it now instead of Floppy disks which have been outdated by the size of files, particularly graphics. I also found them very usefull when transfering data to a new computer.

Bagsey 08:27 21 Mar 03

My first hard drive was on a 4.77 Mhz Olivetti computer and was 10 meg. Yes Meg. Slow man Slow.

Rayuk 17:28 21 Mar 03

Workmates have Smart Media/Compact Flash/Memory Stick so a 6in1 reader was an excellent buy in my case.
Have tried all 3 formats for transferring to and from without problems.

recap 19:33 21 Mar 03

I use a compact flash card (via multicard reader) to save some of my work on. At work I have the software for the card reader but not at home, as hssutton has done I have the drivers loaded and it works fine. Much much better than the Zip drive as this always makes my system freeze up.

justrr 21:18 21 Mar 03

Thankyou all for your information. I shall go ahead and join you as a user.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…