Using Clipper dBase under Windows - help....

DocP 21:51 13 Feb 05

I maintain some legacy programs written under dBase and compiled with Clipper.

I have a couple of problems when running under some versions of Windows – especially XP

Normally the key-code for the left arrow key is identical to Ctrl-S> - both, when tested with a utitlity, are correctly shown as being ASC 19

However, when running in a virtual DOS environment, while the left-arrow key works fine, the Ctrl-S> is ignored. I assume that Windows is intercepting the code for some other purpose.

Using the Properties of the desktop shortcut to the DOS environment, I have tried various combinations of Compatibility (for Windows) and disabling the Windows Shortcut keys, but no still solution is found.

Secondly: the programs frequently use the higher ASCII codes to build boxes on-screen. These generally work fine, but on occasion – and I can find no reason for why this only happens sometimes – the characters get mis-interpreted and produce other graphics characters.

Would be grateful if anyone knows a solution – especially to the key-code issue - or even just a pointer to someone who might know.

Many thanks

Dr Philip Ramage

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…