Using CD+RW instead of CD-RW

Splodge 12:09 04 Aug 03

I copy programs onto my HD from my Hauppauge TV and then transfer some of them onto CD-RW disks of 700MB.

However, some are too large to fit and I have to use two disks. They will only record about 73 minutes.

I have overcome the problem of poor synchronisation, which occurs with long recordings by splitting them into 30 minute segments and then using an editor to join them together.

Can I use my LITE-ON LTR-24102B to record on to the CD+RW's of 4.7Gb and then play them through a
PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-106 [CD-ROM drive]?

I do have a spare bay and could install a CD+RW drive but will the Pioneer accept the recorded disks?

Any ideas please!

TBH1 12:43 04 Aug 03

are you a little confused here ?? If not, I am - - - I don't think there's anyway on God's earth that you can squeeze 4.7gb onto a 650 , or 700mb CDRW.
Do you mean you are thinking of buying a DVD writer maybe ?

Splodge 12:57 04 Aug 03

No, CD-RW disks can take 700Mb but the CR+RW disks can take 4.7Gb which is why they are much more expensive!

id not make myself clear.

rickf 13:24 04 Aug 03

I am certain you mean DVD+RWs which have a 4.7g capacity. You will need a DVD Rewriter to write dvds.

Splodge 13:56 04 Aug 03

Sorry, mistype.

Yes, but will the same DVD Rom write to both CD-RW and CD+RW disks?

Jester2K II 14:12 04 Aug 03

Please restate the problem with the correct terms.

You have confussed the issue by asking about burning DVDs with a CDRW.

LITE-ON LTR-24102B is a CD Writer and CANNOT burn DVD disks

Jester2K II 14:13 04 Aug 03

Also a DVD ROM cannot burn DVDs either.

generally DVD Writers will write CDs too. Both CDR and CDRW

No such thing as a CD+RW...

-pops- 14:16 04 Aug 03

A DVD Rom won't write anywhere.

Also, you are confusing CDRW and/or CDR with DVD+R or DVD-R or DVD+RW or DVD-RW.

CD disks are incapable of anything even near 1GB, never mind 4.7GB. The largest writable CDs I've ever seen are 800MB - these are rare and unreliable.

Splodge 16:59 04 Aug 03

It just shows my ignorance chaps, doesn't it?

So will my current DVD Writer which WILL burn 700Mb CD's also burn 4.7Gb CD's or do I need a separate DVD Writer of different specifications?

Jester2K II 17:01 04 Aug 03

What model DVD Writer?

Then we can determine exactly what DVD disk you can use.

bremner 17:14 04 Aug 03

To help a little with terminology and please don't think I am being patronising.

A CD R is a once only writeable 700MB CD

A CD RW is a rewriteable 700MB CD

DVD -R and DVD +R are once only writeable 4.7GB DVD's

DVD -RW and DVD -RW are rewriteable 4.7GB DVD's

DVD Rom drive is a read only device that will read either DVD ROMs or CD Roms

CD Rom drive is read only device that will read CD Roms.

DVD Ram, DVD -R/RW and DVD +R/RW are DVD Writers that will read / record onto 4.7GB DVD's, or 700MB CD R/RW

CD R/RW are CD writers that will record onto CD's

I hope this will enable you to explain your problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…