Using a CDROM cleaner on DVD RW Drive

sheila.weston 10:42 23 Nov 04

I have just bought a PROline 'CD and CD-ROM lens cleaner from Currys.
I want to clean my DVD R/RW DVD Rewritable drive, but am getting cold feet! Is it safe to use this?
I had the drive fitted in place of my old CD Recording drive when the pc had to go up to Mesh for a replacement C:\ drive. I could record CDs on the old drive and still can on the new drive, but it will not record DVDs, using the nero software, even after updating off the Nero website. The recording seems to proceed normally, even through to the 'Recorded Succesful' notice, but the disc is empty.
I downloaded VSO as an alternative recording devise, but it still doesn't work. The log file for this says:
1) Unable to start the write process - finalization skipped to preserve the media
2) Write sector failed at sector 0(16) - code 03 73 03 [medium error, power calibration dail (CDburner is dirty)].
Help please!

Sheila

sheila.weston 10:44 23 Nov 04

ps-how would I use it in any case!?

Jackcoms 10:47 23 Nov 04

Using a CD Lens cleaner on a DVD drive/lens is no different to using it on a CD lens.

Just follow the instructions.

Stuartli 11:55 23 Nov 04

There is very little reason, if any, why you would need to use such a cleaner.

Such drives are very well enclosed and the tray is rarely open for more than a few seconds. It's more likely to attract dust in the end.

I've had numerous CD players (one was acquired in 1989 and still in regular use), CD/DVD-ROM drives and rewriters and have never needed to use such cleaners.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…