Using a card reader with a media card

rins36 22:15 15 Jun 03

Last night the card reader was installed on the computer & used sucessfully on the first go.

Tonight i have tried to use this again & for some reason it will not read the media card, followed instructions in the book....i.e click on my computer, double clicked on the drive that tells me where the card reader is & nothing happens

a) Do i need to leave the cd in the drive all of the time
b) Can the card reader be left plugged in the comp or does it have to be removed after every time i have used it

This is the 1st time i have used a card reader, any advice on this would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Lú-tzé 22:41 15 Jun 03

Is the card reader on a USB port - if so, unplug it and plug it in again and see if windows sees it. What is your OS? Win 98 will need drivers; win me/2k/xp should recongise it.

rins36 22:46 15 Jun 03

Lú-tzé

Its a USB port & I am using Win XP, I will give ur suggestion a try & see wht happens

woodchip 22:58 15 Jun 03

You can also use it to transport files to a different computer like a big floppy disc just right click the file you want to transport and drag to the card reader icon and choose copy

rins36 23:09 15 Jun 03

Had another look & there is no icon to be found on the pc for the card reader, not unplugged it from the usb yet as trying to solve the prob without having to do that

I want to unplug as a last resort

woodchip 23:17 15 Jun 03

try unplug restart comp and replug it in

rins36 23:51 15 Jun 03

woodchip

Done the unplug restart comp and replug it in as u suggested, managed to transfer the pics from the card reader to the computer

After the transfer had finished I got the message that went along the lines of:- I have finished with these pictures, I then clicked on ok. The next message was;- drive (G) can now be removed from your comp, now I know its late, but I now realise that I should of done something else with the pics ( but for the time being all i want to do is save em to the hard drive)

My guess is that each time i want to use the reader i will have to unplug, restart comp & replug in the reader

woodchip 11:36 16 Jun 03

Well at least it works
Yours Woodchip

Agent Smith 23:01 16 Jun 03

I think that the "Remove from computer" actually means disconnect and not physically remove. I have a smart media card on my PC running 98se and my reader is named F: and stays in "My Computer" all the time but if I use the reader on Win ME then each time the card reader is loaded and unloaded each time a card is inserted or withdrawn. The card reader may be found as a mass storage device in control panel under the USB icon. May be different with XP as I am not familiar with that OS yet.

rins36 21:51 17 Jun 03

Agent Smith

Thanks for the comment, been back in to "My Computer" tonight to see if "F drive" for the card reader is there & nope its gone, its going to be a pain if i have to disconnect & reconnect each time i want to use the darn thing

I will check in control panel

Anyone that use a card reader with XP.....ideas etc would be appreciated on why the "F drive" does not stay in "My Computer"

Bagsey 22:22 17 Jun 03

I am using a dual card reader and XP. The reader stays plugged in all of the time and it shows up in my computer as two drives all of the time. When I put in a card the icon changes for the drive with the card in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…