using a canon LiDe 100 scanner

palinka 18:37 07 Mar 09

help please.
I'm scanning a doc that I have only in hard copy, SO THAT I can then make alterations to it.
Even though I've scanned it as OCR Text it seeems to offer save as only as TIFF or JPEG, not as Word or similar text.
I must be missing something somewhere.

TonyV 19:43 07 Mar 09

I have a LIDE90 scanner but have never used it to scan a document to work on so tried it just now. I opened the Omnipage Scansoft SE4 programme that came with the scanner and did the scan, did the recognition work, then saved it and up came a whole host of details to save it too including .doc and many others.

What OCR software are you using?

TonyV

palinka 20:23 07 Mar 09

thanks TonyV.
Suspect I haven't installed the OCR software! Stupid of me! Haven't had this scanner long and not needed OCR until today. Previously used a Benq that auto-installed OCR .

Alf58 20:27 07 Mar 09

Normally you can open Word and the menu options include "aquire text" followed by the name of your OCR software. Clicking it opens the text scanning interface.

TonyV 20:29 07 Mar 09

It takes a bit of getting used to. I scanned mine and thought I had done the recognition bit, then saved it as a .doc item. When I fired up Word, the alterations I had made had not been taken in to effect! So after a bit of jiggery-pokery, I managed to get what I wanted and it is now working fine.

Hope you get on OK with your setup.

Cheers

TonyV

TonyV 20:51 07 Mar 09

I looked at doing it the way Alf58 says and ended up with a lemon. Each and every time I did it, it went through the sequence of operations related to Scansoft and when it had finished, it threw a wobbly and threatened to send an error report to Mr Microsoft. I gave up in the end and will use the Scansoft software to do it's job. At least that way I know it will work. I was using Word 2000 from Office 2000. The unfortunate thing is there does not appear to be a similar facility for getting text in OpenOffice. Pity!

TonyV

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…