Using both Wired & Wireless

She 19:07 27 Sep 05

I have a Desktop PC running XPPro with a wired network connection to my husbands workstation running W98SE. We have a wired 50:1 Broadband internet service with Freedom2Surf using an e-Tec ADSL router.

I should like to buy a laptop and be able to use it with a wireless connection to my Desktop PC and use the existing internet connection.

Is it possible to run both wired and wireless systems or would I have to change the whole setup to a wirless system using a wireless router with the relevant LAN cards.

mgmcc 20:01 27 Sep 05

I'm not quite sure how you have it set up. It *sounds* as though your husband's PC is connected to a router, he's enabled Internet Connection Sharing on the router connection and you have connected *directly* to his PC by crossover cable. You should in fact have your PC connected to the router as well.

If the router is not a "wireless" one, then to connect a Wi-Fi enabled laptop to the network, you need to plug a "Wireless Access Point" into one of the router's LAN ports, which effectively makes it a "Wirelesss Router". The laptop would then connect to the rest of the network, and the Internet, via the Wireless Access Point.

She 20:07 27 Sep 05

Thanks mgmcc.

Will the Wireless Access Point allow using the laptop at a distance of say 150ft?

mgmcc 21:28 27 Sep 05

It's always difficult to say whether a wireless connection will work over a particular distance, because it also depends on what is in between - thick stone walls, flimsy platerboard walls, floors/ceilings if on different levels and so on.

I came across someone whose new house had aluminium foil in the walls to conserve heat. That killed the wireless signal totally - end of network!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…