Using Acronis 10

iqs 13:15 29 Aug 07

Hello.Can anyone assist with the following problem please.

When I try and back up the harddrive,I follow the on screen prompts.But when I get to the Partition Selection screen,it gets rather confusing...

1,I click on Backup,then the Welcome to the Create Backup Wizard appears.

2,Click Next,then highlight My computer,Next

3,Partition Screen(confused)

Disk 1 has the following option............

(box is ticked) NFTS (C:) Pri,Act. 293.9 GB 18.45 GB NTFS

(box is not ticked)FAT32 Pri 4.198GB 3.376 GB FS:FAT32 Partition: 0x12(compaq Setup)

If I back up using the defult settings ,will I copy the whole 293.9 GB,or just the 18.45 GB free space.

Why I ask,on the final Proceed screen it states the following...

Create Full Backup Archive
To file:"H: \MyBackup.tib"
Compression:Normal

Operation 1 of 2
Saving partition structure
Hard disk:1

Operation 2 of 2
Creating partition image
Hard disk:1
Drive letter:C:
File system:NTFS
Volume label:
Size:293.9 GB

What am I backing up,and what size is the back up.

Sorry for posting a long thread.It seems to me that I'm backing up the full 292.9GB HD.

Cheers

Batch 13:35 29 Aug 07

It will back up all of the used space (except for your page file which is roughly twice the size of your ram).

You refer to 18.45GB of free space. Is it free space or used space (I've got TI* and it shows the drive capacity and the used space)? In any event, the destination drive / partition will need to be big enough to take the image of the used space (although TI does [by default] achieve a degree of compression).

iqs 16:35 29 Aug 07

and thanks for your help.Sorry, but I'm not sure what you are stating in your reply.

All I am trying to do is create a mirror image of my HD.

What is causing me concern is the Partition Screen...

I have two boxes,NTFS(C) capacity 293.9GB used space 18.51GB....... and FAT32 capacity 4.198GB used space 3.376GB FAT32 Partition: 0x12(compaq Setup

If I tick both boxes will this copy my OS and all programs, drivers etc etc.So if the day comes when I have to re-install everything,its all in the restore/backup folder.

I ran the backup wizard,the backup folder was 5GB smaller then both original folders.

Thanks for reading and helping with this thread.Cheers

iqs 18:04 29 Aug 07

I have created another image on my second internal harddrive.Hopefully this image will work if needed.Cheers

eedcam 18:12 29 Aug 07

My backup was 37G/byte and you are wise to say hopefully it will work.Apparentley there is no way of knowing without either trying on another drive Verifying is no guarantee whatsoever ,

iqs 18:58 29 Aug 07

eedcam for your comments.May I ask if you use Acronis Startup Recovery Manager?.If yes,is it reliable?.Cheers

Batch 09:20 30 Aug 07

I don't use the Startup Recovery Manager as I don't see much point.

Non-active system partitions can be restored whilst running Windows. If I want to restore the active system partition and I'm already booted in Windows, I just go through the process using TI in Windows and it detects that the partition is in use and then gives me the option to reboot into the standalone TI shell. Alternatively, just create a boot CD and use this to boot the pC from.

eedcam 09:43 30 Aug 07

IQS I raised tis question of how guaranteed the backup was to work on the Acronis Forum.The answer I got was there is'nt other than actually trying it admittedly it probably will work.my point I dont buy a spare for my car and rip out a perfectly good working part just to make sure the spare works.Acronis is probably a great bit of kit no doubt but Im sure like myself many think or thought all you had to do was backup and verify and it was guaranteed to work which it apparently it aint.Still its a good comfort blanket

eedcam 09:45 30 Aug 07

IQS I raised this question of how guaranteed the backup was to work on the Acronis Forum.The answer I got was there is'nt other than actually trying it admittedly it probably will work.my point I dont buy a spare for my car and rip out a perfectly good working part just to make sure the spare works.Acronis is probably a great bit of kit no doubt but Im sure like myself many think or thought all you had to do was backup and verify and it was guaranteed to work which it apparently it aint.Still its a good comfort blanket.

iqs 11:19 30 Aug 07

Batch

I don't think I will use the Start Up Manager.From the various threads in the Acronis forum,the S.U.M will interfere with PC Angel.I have used it once to restore my PC back to factory presets.Only took 5 minutes.With this option and my mirror image of my HD I should be ok?

eedcam

I agree,until you require the image you will never know.But its reassuring if the worse happens,to know the that odds are in your favour.

Thank you both for your help :-)

Batch 13:27 30 Aug 07

I took (and still take) a different view WRT verifying the integrity of the TI image (and process).

Not only did I want to reassure myself that my image was OK but also that I was fully aware of the process so that, should a restore become necessary, it would be quick and painless - there's nothing worse than having to sort out a problem (especially one like a completely screwed system) at a time when you urgently need the system.

So, at a convenient time (i.e when I had time to spare and no pressing needs to use the PC), I made an image, used TI to verify it and then restored the image.

All went swimmingly. I have now restored many times. I find it a quick way to thoroughly eradicate software that I have tried but quickly realise I don't want - much better than an uninstall. Also, if I get any hint of some nasty software, rather than try to eradicate it, I just restore. This process is helped by the fact that by system drive is just OS & programs and the image is less than 2GB, taking about 3 minutes to restore.

Of course, if it had not worked, I might have had to do a complete reinstall of Windows. But, as I said, I was trying it out at a convenient time and ready for the worst.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…