Using 5.25 Floppy Drive

Train driver 21:38 27 Aug 04

I have a great deal of data stored on 5.25" floppies but when I try and install my old 5.25 drive as a second floppy the BIOS does not recognise it. I had a similar problem on a different PC. Does anyone know if later PC's can only have one floppy or is there a solution.

VoG II 21:47 27 Aug 04

It should be drive B but do you have a 5ΒΌ inch drive? Long since discontinued.

Train driver 21:51 27 Aug 04

Yes I have a 3.5 & 5.25 drive installed but the BIOS only allows me to specify the type of drive for "A" and Windows only finds the "A" drive.

woodchip 22:23 27 Aug 04

In the BIOS CMOS or what you will go to first page, then use up down arrows to get to Floppy B then use the Page-Up Page-Down for the Mb size of disc there are two sizes in my bios for 5.25 Drive

Train driver 23:00 27 Aug 04

Thanks guys but unfortunately the BIOS/CMOS only lists an "A" drive, no "B" drive. However I can change the "A" drive as you suggest. I wonder if I have a duff cable??

woodchip 18:29 28 Aug 04

or drive

cga 18:50 28 Aug 04

My Award BIOS shows

Legacy Diskette A [1.44M. 3.5 in.]

Legacy Diskette B [None]

In the main menu.

If that aint there then you could try seeing if it allows you to configure A as a 5.25 - otherwise I guess you are st***ed.

Train driver 22:16 28 Aug 04

I had it working that way before but it meant I had to use a USB 3.5 drive. I have got a new cable so if that does not work it looks like I will have to live with the old system

Train driver 13:03 31 Aug 04

Tried a new cable and two different 5.25 drives but still nothing. Windows explorer sees the drive as a 5.25 floppy but when I try and access it, it says "please insert a disc". Also the BIOS/CMOS will only let me set up one floppy drive, there is no entry for a "B" drive.

wee eddie 13:42 31 Aug 04

I assume that you are trying to install your 5.25 inch Floppy drive (Oh the memories) into a comparatively modern PC.

Why not beg, borrow, steal, or even purchase (2nd hand)an old PC. Anything with Windows 3.1 should be compatible as would Windows 95, transfer the data to the HDD then transfer it to another medium or send/mail it to yourself.

JayDay 16:18 31 Aug 04

After you have transferred the data contact the Science Museum. They may be interested in the drive :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…