Using a 20+4 pin connector on a 24 pin motherboard

Danny Barnard 19:00 21 May 09

Hi I'm building a system at the moment and I'm deciding on a motherboard. I've chosen one that's ticked all my boxes and looks very good nForce 750i SLI 775 ATX Motherboard (it's conservative but what it has is good). It needs a 24 pin power connector and the PSU I'm going for has a 20+4 connector. I've read around and it seems you can plug a 20+4 pin into a 24 pin, is it disadvantageous doing this or dangerous? Or do I need an adapter?

Cheers Danny

MAT ALAN 19:05 21 May 09

If the cables from your PSU offer the options 20+4 then that is normal and SAFE....

no need for an adapter, in a sense the 4 pin bit IS the adapter...

Totally-braindead 19:10 21 May 09

As MAT ALAN says, the only reason power supplies come with a 20+4 connector is so that it can be used with all motherboards regardless of whether it needs a 20 pin or a 24 pin power supply connector.

If the power supply manufacturers didn't do this then they would need to supply 2 different power supplies, one with 20 pin and one with 24. This way they only have to make one power supply with one connector that can do either motherboard.

No advantage or disadvantage and yes its safe.

Danny Barnard 19:32 21 May 09

Horay!

Thx

MAT ALAN 19:42 21 May 09

Nice one T-B nuver happy bunny!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…