'Users' in Win98

algernonymous 22:21 17 Jun 04

For a bit of practice I thought I'd have a go at the 'users' on my win98 machine, so went thru' the wizard and rebooted. I wish I hadn't. All the username/passwords have disappeared from websites I visit and to make things worse, when I went to My Documents where I keep reminders of these I found all the folders had gone too.
When I tried to delete what I'd done (in 'users') I got a warning box stating this would remove all settings. Does this mean ALL settings on PC or just the ones that were created when going thru' the wizard? I'd just like to it back to how it was.

Fruit Bat 22:28 17 Jun 04

For 98, you can restore an earlier version of the registry by booting with a Windows 98 Startup Disk (boot floppy) and at the "A:\>" prompt typing: scanreg /restore and pressing Enter. You will then have the option to restore one of several previous copies of the registry.

Night Ryder 22:35 17 Jun 04

Sounds to me that you have entered windows with the new user account you have just created.
If you delete within this account you will delete the origional one with your passwords. What you must do is enter windows to your original account then check that all your passwords are present. All being OK, delete any other accounts and you shold be back to your original.

woodchip 22:49 17 Jun 04

Go to start/shut down to DOS, At the Prompt in Dos type SCANREG /RESTORE choose a date before you altered Windows

algernonymous 11:00 18 Jun 04

Thanks people. It was the registry retore I was looking for. I'll try it right now.

algernonymous 11:29 18 Jun 04

Heeeeey! All done. Something else I've learnt. I like this website! So much easier than trawling through books. Thanks again to all who responded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…