Users account on XP

You Splitter 17:34 26 Jun 04

I ahve a strange problem that hopefully someone can help me with?

I have never created any other User accounts on the PC. When i boot it up it just logs me in automatically. However my firewall (although being in the start menu) will not auto launch. When i try to activate it I get messages such as "Admisnistrator options only".

I then have to log off XP. Select adminsitrator (which is the only option available) and then log on. It then launchs automatically and enables the firwall. I can also then activate/deactiavte as I wish.

Its a pain having to log off after each boo up and then log on again!! Any help appreciated.

YS

johnnyrocker 17:41 26 Jun 04

you need to cnfigure your user account to have administrator rights because the machine clearly either has 2 accounts or thinks it has, go to users in control panel and configure it from there.

johnny.

spikeychris 18:51 26 Jun 04

There guest account might also be active....

To turn off Guest account access,

Click Start, click Control Panel

Double-click User Accounts.

Click the Guest account.

Click Turn off Guest access.

1. Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.

2. Click the user account.

3. Click "Remove my password".

4. Type the password in the "Type your current password" box, and then click Remove Password.

You Splitter 20:26 26 Jun 04

Thanks Guys I have checked all that already. Guest account is definately turned off. The only account i can access or find is the Administrator which already has admin rights. I agree with you Johnny - it obviusly thinks there are two acounts but I cant find another one!

johnnyrocker 21:30 26 Jun 04

if a recent thing might not system restore be an option?

johnny.

You Splitter 23:13 26 Jun 04

Unfortunately not. The machine is a month old and my first tasks were setting up firewall / AV etc. Has done it since the start so would have to restore from the first date which would loose me everything I've added. Been 'playing' for two weeks now but cant figure it.

THE TERMINATOR 01:30 27 Jun 04

Click on start, run, enter regedit and scroll down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C} and delete any user that shouldn't be there....TT

hugh-265156 01:53 27 Jun 04

if you click 'start/control panel/user accounts' how many accounts are shown here and is your account listed as 'administrator' or 'limited'

You Splitter 16:03 27 Jun 04

Huggy:

List two accounts. One is administrator. The other is guest. This account however is listed as 'turned off' and is greyed out. It says admin has administrator rights. Also I have noticed that the computer does not seem to save my settings on exit. For example set my Broadband as default connection. Now after boot up it defaults back to the dail up.

TT - Tried your kind suggestion. I have the following:
Default (which i cant delete)
Locale
username (which has administratoer next to it)
version.

Tried getting rid off locale (after setting retore point. It the logged on fine with all admin rights there. However when i next shut down the computer on starting it up it had reappeared and the problem is still here.

Thanks for your efforts guys.

You Splitter 16:05 27 Jun 04

Huggy:

List two accounts. One is administrator. The other is guest. This account however is listed as 'turned off' and is greyed out. It says admin has administrator rights. Also I have noticed that the computer does not seem to save my settings on exit. For example set my Broadband as default connection. Now after boot up it defaults back to the dail up.

TT - Tried your kind suggestion. I have the following:
Default (which i cant delete)
Locale
username (which has administratoer next to it)
version.

Tried getting rid off locale (after setting retore point). I restarted it reappeared and the problem is still here.

Thanks for your efforts guys.

You Splitter 18:08 27 Jun 04

Well I sorted it but to be honest im not quite sure how!! I actually created a second adminsitrator account & deleted the default one. This thre the machine into all sorts of confusion so i did a sytem restore. I no longer have the problem and am back to the old administrator and settings. Not going to complain tho.... thanks for the advice all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…