User.exe file corrupted

norch 18:43 04 Apr 03

I am a little behind the times and still running Windows 98 on my PC. I have a problem with AOL 7.0. After I have signed off AOL the program closes but I frequently get an "illegal operation" message saying "invalid page fault in USER.EXE"
I have run System File Checker and it says user.exe may be corrupted. How do I resolve this? I can't find the file on my Windows CD. Any advice would be appreciated, although I hope a clean install isn't required.
Thanks.

Gongoozler 20:28 04 Apr 03

Microsoft suggest this may be the cure:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:

Restart your computer in Safe Mode.

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click System.

In the System Properties dialog box, click the Device Manager tab.

Click View devices by connection.

In the device list, click AOL Adapter, and then click Remove.

When the confirmation message appears, click OK.
Repeat step 6 for each of the following devices:

AOL Dial-Up Adapter.

Dial-Up Adapter.

Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support).

Restart your computer in Normal mode and install AOL.

For the full story see click here

sil_ver 20:28 04 Apr 03

Possibly user.exe is not corrupt it just thinks it is. In my case I was told to do the following. In sys file checker click settings then advanced and click restore defaults, the program will prompt to specify the location that contains the file. If you don't have a Win98 CD you need to type the following in the restore from window C:\windows\options\cabs and click OK, click ok again to close system file checker. If you do have a Win98 CD then type in the restore from window D:\WIN98 where D: is your CD-ROM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…