user32.dll, shell32.dll, ntoskrnl.exe changed-why?

Katstar 14:13 22 May 06

Hi! I wonder if anyone can help me with this...

I ran a scan with AVG the other day after it came up to say I had a virus. When the test results came back, it also said that two things had been changed:

and, C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll

After removing the virues I searched through forums to try and find out if this was something to be concerned about, and found a comment in reply to someone asking a similiar question that said this was fine.
However, I've just run the scan again, and it's now showing that in addition to the other two, this- C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe - has now also changed. Is this something I should be worried about? And if it is, what should I do? As you can probably tell, I know very little about computers, so apologies if I'm asking something stupid...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 22 May 06

ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer although should never appear in WinTasks whilst under normal circumstances

Note: ntoskrnl.exe can be altered by the w32.bolzano and variants.

user32.dll is a module that contains Windows API functions related the Windows user interface (Window handling, basic UI functions, and so forth).

shell32.dll is a library which contains Windows Shell API functions, which are used when opening web pages and files.

Make sure AVG is fully uptodate and rescan.

If ntoskrnl.exe is missing or corrupt will result in failure to boot windows.

Katstar 10:21 23 May 06

Thank you! I checked instructions online to see if there were any signs I had that virus, but there weren't. I think I may have been overly paranoid...Thank you very much for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…