user logon passwords

sean-278262 20:14 20 Jun 04

i have a computer running windows xp and have set up passwords and the system is not accepting the password even thought im sure i have typed it correctly several times.The is one admin account and one limited acount and the only info i can find is for rebooting the computer and loosing all data.please tell me there is some back door to solve this problem all i need is to remove my admin password so i can get my files.

AndySD 20:21 20 Jun 04

XP pro or Home

AndySD 20:23 20 Jun 04

Also try putting in the password with Caps Lock on...just in case

sean-278262 20:24 20 Jun 04

win xp home

PSF 20:27 20 Jun 04

Re-boot and enter safe mode, log into administrator account, from there you can go to control panel>> user accounts and then remove the password from the account.

When you have done that re-boot and your password will be gone. enter a new password and make a recovery disk in case you forget the password again. In your user account click on the 'Prevent forgotten passwords' and follow the instructions.

AndySD 20:29 20 Jun 04

Safe Mode on XP (just in case)

1.Start the computer. The computer begins processing a set of instructions known as the Basic Input/Output System (BIOS). What is displayed depends on the BIOS manufacturer. Some computers display a progress bar that refers to the word BIOS, while others may not display any indication that this process is happening.

2. As soon as the BIOS has finished loading, begin tapping the F8 key on your keyboard. Continue to do so until the Windows Advanced Options menu appears.

NOTE: If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers will generate a "keyboard error" message. Please restart and try again.

3. Using the arrow keys on the keyboard, scroll to and select the Safe mode menu item, and then press Enter.

AndySD 20:30 20 Jun 04

administrator account in safe mode..... leave the password blank

sean-278262 20:39 20 Jun 04

thanks, all its working now.i think from now on the computer is going without passwords. Thanks for helping me out of the hole i dug for myself.

PSF 20:42 20 Jun 04

If you make the floppy disk to and if you forget the password you can change it without going through this again.

PSF 20:46 20 Jun 04

sorry that does not make sense,

It should be, if you make the recovery floppy disk, the next time you forget the password, you will not have to go through this again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…