User Hive Cleanup Service

J B 10:33 10 Jun 06

Can anyone tell me how this program works. Lately my laptop has been somewhat slow to shutdown, and I was wondering if the cleanup service would help the shutdown process. The only thing that I can think of is one of Nortons processes CCapp is slow to close, and sometimes I get the error 0x2004941d memory could not be read. Any suggestions would be welcome. Also I want to add that all relevent scans have been done with Norton A/V 2006, Adaware, Spybot, and Windows Defender. All came out clean and I have no problem with programs or speed. J.B.

Jackcoms 10:39 10 Jun 06

Taken from the MS website:

"The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending."

To coorect slow shutdown:

It will take about 8-10 seconds for Windows to close after the fix:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

ACOLYTE 10:39 10 Jun 06

This page explains what it does pretty well and you can also download it from here click here

J B 10:56 10 Jun 06

Thanks for the suggestions, however I have never done any modification to the registry and I am reluctent to do so. Will the cleanup service do the same job or should I go into the registry and attempt the fix? J.B.

Jackcoms 11:07 10 Jun 06

The clean up service will NOT make the amendments I suggest.

Follow my instructions to the letter and your registry will be perfectly safe (and shutdown time faster!)

The Spires 11:17 10 Jun 06

I've never been interested in Bee keeping.

J B 12:33 10 Jun 06

I followed your instructions to the letter and set the value to 200. As with your computer when I went into the registry the value I found for "Wait to kill service timeout" was set to 20000. Do you think that was the default setting or what?

Anyway, my shutdown time has been reduced to approx 10 seconds instead of nearly 40 seconds before the edit. Hope it stays that way. Thanks a lot for the fix, I owe you one. J.B.

Jackcoms 13:35 10 Jun 06

Glad it helped you.

"Do you think that was the default setting or what?"

No, in fact the default is normally 2000.

No idea why PCs change of their own accord to 20000!!

Spark6 13:43 10 Jun 06

JB and Jackcoms.

I've followed this thread this morning and, out of interest, checked my settings. My desktop, which is 3 years old, was already set to 200, but my laptop, purchased a fortnight ago, was set to 20000. Both set at 200 now!

J B 16:37 10 Jun 06

It is rather interesting that a computer would change a setting like that on it's own. Is there anything in the system that would make it do so I wonder? J.B.

Jackcoms 16:41 10 Jun 06

I've absolutely no idea!!

Sorry.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…