+++ USER BACK-UP FILE TO 16GB USB +++

pcdimwit 12:11 09 Mar 10

I have an Acer 5535 laptop that has both C & D drives set to NTFS files as default, the Acer's recovery system only recognises a user back-up file as a FATS32 file, therefore I have had to make 3 DVD's of my own user back-up to restore the system, rather than use DVD's I have been told to store the user back-up file to a 16gb USB stick (the user back-up file being about 11gb in total) HOWEVER now I am told that files cannot be bigger than 4gb on a high capacity USB stick, the question is: how can I save a user back-up file of about 11gb in FATS32 system on a USB stick?? thanks PCDIMWIT

DieSse 13:22 09 Mar 10

You can't with FAT32 - FAT32 has a file size limit of 4GB (ish).

You'll need to format your USB stick to either NTFS, or to the new exFAT system to overcome this. exFAT has been developed for mobile storage such as momory sticks.

click here for exFAT on XP. It's also in Vista SP1 and on and Win7.

BRYNIT 13:31 09 Mar 10

The maximum file size for any HD or flash drive formatted to FAT32 is 4GB.

Taken from Twikipedia.

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte (232?1 bytes). Video applications, large databases, and some other software easily exceed this limit. Larger files require another formatting type such as NTFS.

canarieslover 13:37 09 Mar 10

Are you confusing a back up partition size with file size? Although the partition may be 11Gb it probably contains many files all of which will be below the 4Gb limit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…