User Accounts Windows XP

TonyW2 11:03 27 Jun 07

Hi, and help please.
I have set up a broadband and wireless connection using my own administrator account and this is satisfactory, with automatic connection etc on startup.(This was set up using the installation discs with the hardware)
However,I can only manage to get other users, who only have limited accounts, to have similar startup and access to the wireless connections by changing their accounts to administrators This is not really desirable.
Which settings have I not adjusted?
Thanks for any help

Noelg23 14:11 27 Jun 07

did u create the other user accounts after you installed the wireless? or before? also did u install the wireless on each account seperately or install it on the admin account and say to install for everyone or yourself?

Jackcoms 14:49 27 Jun 07

Try this to enable a permanent internet connection with multiple users on your PC under Windows XP.

Click on Start/Run and type Regedit.

In the Registry Editor navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

Then right-click in the right-hand pane and select New/String Value. Name the value KeepRasConnections.

Double click the new key and set its value to 1.

TonyW2 12:16 29 Jun 07

thanks

Jackcoms 13:14 29 Jun 07

Thanks for what?

Has your problem been solved or not?

If so, how?

TonyW2 09:58 05 Sep 07

Sorry, I only just found this still open.

You scared me off with the registry edit stuff, as my great great grandfather always said "never mess with the registry!" and I thought I had strayed into an expert's forum.
A similar problem in the networking forum gave a link to click here and in this there are strong warnings about not tinkering.

I don't feel comfortable to get into those depths.
Is there something much simpler?

So I just left all users with administrator rights and said it was "resolved." but would be pleased if a better resolution could be offerred.

Thanks all the same.

brundle 10:28 05 Sep 07

You can do the same with TweakUI ; under Logon click `Keep RAS connections after logoff`.
click here

TonyW2 14:22 05 Sep 07

I installed Tweak and changed the RAS setting as suggested and closed computer.. This was certainly easy, but has not had any effect on the problem.

I have admin account which still opens automatically with connection to wireless network and the internet, but the account with limited rights will not achieve this.
Even if opening the computer and logging on as administrator, then logging off and switching to limited account, the limited account keeps showing as trying to connect to wireless network and then "acquiring network address". It continues cycling and does not succeed. Using "Repair" connection has similar failure.

Is it relevant, that on logging on as limited account, an error warning comes up showing ---- SRaid Cannot create/open the registry HKEY...LOCALMACHINE.../Software/SISRAID Software//

(I just click OK and continue)

TonyW2 14:39 05 Sep 07

Continued.
As other accounts with admin rights are all successful, and switching between them is no problem, surely it must just be some setting or opening programme which is in all admin accounts but not limited ones?

brundle 14:42 05 Sep 07

The warning is related to RAID drivers and irrelevant if you can access all your drives normally from all accounts.
Try changing one of the accounts to Administrator, log in and set up the connection, log out, change back to Limited.

The Limited account feature in XP is very clunky, if you have no success you might need to make all accounts Admin and apply some restrictions with this utility; click here

TonyW2 14:47 05 Sep 07

Continued.
As other accounts with admin rights are all successful, and switching between them is no problem, surely it must just be some setting or opening programme which is in all admin accounts but not limited ones?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017