user accounts

COL666 21:43 20 Feb 03

Hi everyone,
I run xp home edition, 256mb,40gb.
Everything was fine until recenly, now when my daughter logs on at the welcome screen her settings start to load then after just a few seconds her settings our saved and ends up back at the welcome screen.
She has limited account privileges and as I have said this has just started to happen.
If I give her computer administrator right's like myself everything is fine.
Have I a Registry problem?
COLIN.
PS This now happen's with my wife's log on, and any other account I create.

temp003 05:40 21 Feb 03

First log in as Administator. You can try the following in any order or combination to see if any of them works (hope at least one works).

(1) Disable Fast User Switching (Start, Control Panel, User Accounts, Change the way users log on and off, and untick fast user switching). This is not a bad idea anyway as this feature uses a lot of computer resources.

(2) Disable the Welcome Screen (same as above, untick the box for the Welcome screen). You will switch back to the old Windows logon screen. Also, if you turn off the Welcome Screen, you cannot use Fast User Switching.

(3) Change the settings of the Security Log in Event Viewer.

Start, Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

On the left, find Security Log and highlight it.

I'm not familiar with XP Home, but I've read that by default, XP Home is set to audit logon events (success and failure). If this is correct, the right hand pane should show a long list of logon events.

Right click "Security Log" on the left and select Properties.

Under the General tab, in the "Log Size" box, the default settings should be 512KB and "Overwrite events older than 7 days". Change that to "Overwrite events as needed". Click OK if you're done, or click Apply to go to the next suggestion.

(4) Select the Filter tab of Security Log Properties, if you have the tab. Untick Success and/or Failure. Click Apply or OK.

The success/failure log is for you to keep track of logon events, to see if there has been unauthorised access or attempted access to your computer. In a home computer context, and if you have set up limited accounts, this is not really important. You've probably never looked at it.

Hope some of these steps work.

vaughan007 08:09 21 Feb 03

Hello Col,

This certainly sounds like an irritating problem. Have you tried a system restore back to a date when you know your computer was working ok.

This often fixes problems (as it is meant to). If you dont know how to do this let me know and I will put another post on here explaining how.

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…