User accounts

tasslehoff burrfoot 19:44 14 Oct 05

Hi

I am running XP pro. I have (until yesterday) been using the default "Administrator" account as the only account on the PC. Last night I created a new account but mistakenly gave it admin permissions.

Now, when i log in I am only given the option of this new account and, of course, all my documents settings etc are on the original administrator account.

I have now booted into safe mode to type this as that is the only way I know to log into the administrator account.

If I try to delete the new admin account I get a message stating that I need to create a new account with admin rights before I can. Why can't i delete it with the administrator account?

Also, how can I transfer (literally) everything from one account to another? If i can.

Many thanks

Tas

mattyc_92 19:52 14 Oct 05

Why Transfer the files? Just, on the "Welcome Screen", hold "Ctrl" and "Alt" and press "Delete" twice. This will bring up a dialog box asking for a username and password. Now just type in "Administrator" as the username and type in the password (if any) you were using for this account and press enter.

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:06 14 Oct 05

I tried that but only hit del once, wondered why it didn't work!

The reason I want to transfer all the settings is because I want to use a limited account for "everyday" usage.

Is it possible?

thanks agian

Tas

Night Ryder 20:19 14 Oct 05

If your new account has admin permissions you should be able to access all other accounts on the computer like this.

Open windows explorer then select tools / folder options and view. Now select "Show hidden files and folders" and ok.

Next go to the 'C' drive / doccuments and settings. You should be able to see all the accounts on your computer including the Administrator account. enter this folder and you will see you're original "My Documents" folder complete with all your files and desktop settings.

You can transfer this to your new "My Documents" folder on the dasktop.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:06 14 Oct 05

Thanks

I suppose the reverse of that is true then?

I could create my limited account and shift everything into it from the administrator account?

Cheers

Tas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…