User accounts

fazer 08:21 20 Apr 05

Have very recently set up an account on the computer for my kids to use and have restricted their access to my "My Folders."

What I would also like to do is restrict their access to some of the programmes but I can't find a way of doing it - all the options under the file properties are shaded out. The only thing I can think of is moving the programme files into my "my documents" folder which has restricted access. Is this safe to do using "cut and drag" or will I need to re-install them?

On a similar vein, I also tried setting up restrictions on their internet access. I used my log-in to enter their account on start-up and made the changes thinking that the changes would only affect them. But the changes I made also effected my access under my own account. Is there any way that I can set up internet access limitations that only effect one account?

Thank you in anticipation.

recap 09:04 20 Apr 05

I take it that your OS is XP?

When setting restrictions, you must remember that the Administrators account is there as a default setting. To change this you need to go in to Permissions and take out the Admin account from the Policy.

click here & click here for articles on security settings.

Bob The Nob© 09:11 20 Apr 05

... Just open up the all users start menu and your users start menu in folder view and cut+paste things out of the all users one into yours to stop the getting to programs through there. and if you have Icons on the desktop that you don't want them to use just delete them.

Hope this helps
Bob T Nob

mattyc_92 09:56 20 Apr 05

IF you do waht Bob The Nob© has said, they can still access the programs if they know where they are in the Program Files folder....

Your best bet is to use the Permissions option (in Home edition, you have have to boot into safe mode to access this feature)....

I use the permissions feature, and find it extreamly easy to use.... The "learning curve" is about 3 minutes....

ventanas 10:36 20 Apr 05

Don't forget Permissions assumes a drive formatted as ntfs.

It is possible to avoid Safe Mode in XP Home if you are masochistic enough. Open a command prompt and type cacls (filename) click here for more info.

Pooke100 11:03 20 Apr 05

"masochistic enough" there's a new word for me. lol. (looked it up on dictionary .com).

He could always hide the run command from them.

Right click taskbar> properties> start menu> customise> advanced> and then untick "Run Command".

I guess your gonna have to use a combination of what has been suggested. But if they really wanna get round it all they will.

mattyc_92 11:37 20 Apr 05

"if they really wanna get round it all they will."

They can't "get around it" if you use permissions.... The only way to get around it, would be to log into another user account that has the permissions and change it (or if you are an administrator, you can take owership of the files/folders/drives)

fazer 11:53 20 Apr 05

Thanks guys.

This all seems somewhat daunting so to give myself benefit of the doubt, what do you think of my suggestion that I just "cut and Paste" (those programmes I do not want them to have access to) from the "programme files into my "my documents" file?

Pooke100 12:05 20 Apr 05

Where there's a will there's a way an' all that. Cutting and pasting icons is the least secure way of stopping them using programs. Some of the others' suggestions are much better.

IMHO that is.

P

ventanas 12:26 20 Apr 05

Moving the programs will stop them working, they need to be where they are. If you really want to do this you should uninstall them first and then reinstall, changing the location when offered. But My Documents is the last place I would think of installing anything. If you have already set them up as restricted users you have gone as far as you can without actually setting preferences for each program\folder. As already stated, to do this you need a drive formatted to ntfs, and administrator access. If using XP Home you must also do it in safe mode, or use the command prompt cacls.exe. In Safe Mode or in XP Pro its really quite easy. When you right click a file and choose properties there is a security tab, assuming you have turned off Simple File Sharing. Click on this tab and you are presented with a list of can's and cant's for the particular file. Tick or untick as appropriate. But be careful or you may lock everyone out permanently.

fazer 13:01 20 Apr 05

Thanks again everyone for the responses - I'll go and try these processes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…