User Account gone!

griffo 20:08 24 May 05

Whilst trying to sort out a folder sharing problem on our LAN today, a 'technician' decided to add a user account in the name of the 'administrator' of another PC that was trying to share the folder (hope that makes sense!) onto my laptop (source of the folder). Whilst doing this, it gave the new account 'administrator' status. When I got home and rebooted my laptop, I find that it loads in the new user account and my account is nowhere to be seen!
Can anyone please suggest how I can undo this?

stalion 20:09 24 May 05

if xp try system restore

mattyc_92 20:10 24 May 05

IS your account still listed in "user accounts" from the Control Panel and still has a folder in the c:\documents and settings???

griffo 20:14 24 May 05

Stalion - can you describe how to do that please?

Mattyc - No to both

mattyc_92 20:19 24 May 05

Well stalion's way would be the easiest to try first....

Go to "start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore" and select a "restore time" (before the changes were made) to restore to....

This probably wont restore your personal files, so you better pray that you have backups of them... lol

griffo 20:25 24 May 05

Looking in Explorer, everything still seems to be there but what about all my email stuff in Outlook, will that be lost?

stalion 20:30 24 May 05

you only need to do a restore to the day before the account was changed you will lose email after that date the rest should be ok

VoG II 20:31 24 May 05

You shouldn't lose anything - System Restore only restores system (Windows) files.

griffo 20:50 24 May 05

Thanks a lot folks - everything seems to be in order - phew!

Raises a couple of questions though, if I may. Is there a way to back-up Outlook on a regular basis and should one set XP to do regular restore points? When I went to System Restore, it had to go back to yesterday around 5 pm, don't know if that matters?

VoG II 20:59 24 May 05

Backup Outlook click here

VoG II 21:00 24 May 05

Restore points are created automatically, roughly once a day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…