User Account

Kishore 14:49 25 Aug 06

I inadvertently created a new User Account on my computer. I am now trying to get rid of it but can not find the way to delete it. Your help will be appreciated.

I am using Windows XP SP 2 (Home Edition).

Thanks.

FelixTCat 14:53 25 Aug 06

Kishore,

Go to Control Panel - User Accounts, right-click on the account and click Delete.

Regards,

Felix

Kishore 14:59 25 Aug 06

Right click has no effect i.e. it is inoperative.

Eric10 15:04 25 Aug 06

Just left-click the account you want to remove then click on 'Delete the account' in the window.

Kishore 15:10 25 Aug 06

Hi Eric10,
I do not get the 'delete' option. I only get the option to either turn ON or tuen OFF the account when I click on the account name.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:14 25 Aug 06

You need to bee logged in as an administrator

Kishore 18:40 25 Aug 06

Execuse my ignorance, Fruit Bat. How can I go about logging as an Administrator?

Eric10 20:04 25 Aug 06

Try Start, Run and type in "control userpasswords2" but without the quotes. If all is well you should get a dialogue box listing all the users. Highlight the one you want to get rid of and click the Remove button. You shouldn't be logged on as the user you are wanting to delete. One of the users on the PC should have an Administrator account but with XP Home you need to boot up in Safe Mode to login to the built-in Administrator account.

Kishore 23:25 25 Aug 06

Eric10

I have tried what you suggested and I get a reply saying "The user XXXXX/YYYYY could not be removed"

where

XXXXX = Name of the computer

YYYYY = User Name

User Group is 'Guests'

Eric10 11:02 26 Aug 06

If you boot into safe mode by pressing F8 early in the boot sequence you will automatically be logged in as the System Administrator in Win XP Home. Now you will be able to delete any users other than system users such as Administrator or Guest. click here and look at the section "XP Home safe mode - some differences " for more info on Safe Mode.
I hope that this is your own computer that you are playing with because it is surprising for an only user not to have administrator rights.

Kishore 13:05 20 Sep 06

Sorry for the long gap in responding to the above problem.
The problem is now resolved.
The 'Guest' Account can not be DELETED but could be SWITCHED OFF.
This meets my requirements.
Thanks everyone for your help/suggestions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…