Usenet and disguising my email address

Nick1 20:26 22 Apr 03

I would like to use usenet again but I fear for the avalanche os spam that will result. How do I disguise my address? I am using W 2000 and Outlook 2000.

TIA

Nick

y_not 20:56 22 Apr 03

set up an alternative account such as hotmail.com or mail.com

Use these accounts for the spam & rubbish and save your outlook account for the stuff you really want to receive....even then somehow someone will still find your address - thats where outlook rules come into play - use them to filter out the crap.

Not perfect but works reasonably well for me

Nick1 22:41 22 Apr 03

Thanks y-not. I have seen on others' usenet postings extra bits inserted into their email address with instructions on how to remove the extras so that you can email the sender if you need. The idea is to beat the programmes which trawl for addresses. This is what I would like to do if possible.

Nick

burry 23:22 22 Apr 03

I dont think you will be able to use Outlook2000 - it doesn't suppport newsgroups as far as I know - you need outlook express.

To disguise your email address (if you use version 6), start outlook express, click on tools, accounts, news tab. Double click on your news account and the email address box can be edited to show the email address you want to appear in your posts.
If no account appears, click add to add one (you need to know your the name of your newserver from your isp).

I have no idea no effective this is in stopping spam. I'm sure other newsgroup apps do something similar.

Cheers, Julian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…