Useful Programs

Pesala 09:23 04 Mar 03

All of these programs are regularly recommended by forum members. They will help to resolve many of the problems posted on this forum. I have only listed Freeware programs. No doubt other forum members will post their own favourites.

Kindly refrain from debating the relative merits of these programs, just post your preferred alternative, stating its merits. This thread could then become a really useful resource to forum visitors.

*** Disk Defragmentation ***

Diskeeper Lite click here

Disk-keeper Lite is a Freeware defragmentation program that will run in the background, and completes the task more quickly.

*** Graphics Conversion ***

Irfan View click here

This tiny freeware graphics viewer on steroids does most common tasks better than bloated Photo-editors. Scan, crop, flip, rotate, convert, resize, recolour, and special effects. No paint, clone, or mask tools though.

*** Hardware and System Information Tools ***

Aida click here

Belarc Advisor click here

SiSoft Sandra click here

*** File Compression ***

Zip Central click here

*** Font Tools ***

The Font Thing click here (Font Manager)

Babel Map click here (Unicode Charmap)

Truetype Explorer click here (Powerful Font Viewer)

*** Sound Recording and Editing ***

Audacity click here (Freeware sound-recorder, MP3 editor)

*** Alternative Browser ***

Opera click here

*** Free Office Suite ***

Open Office click here

€dstow 09:30 04 Mar 03

I know this used to be more or less a joke program but I've just been using it to translate some quite complex German to English and, whilst far from idiomatically perfect, it is really very good. A number of languages are covered inluding Korean, Russian, Japanese and Chinese.

click here

€d

3tg 09:40 04 Mar 03

click here. Excellent for viewing all images on computer and cds. It also keeps a record of the images that you have viewed previously.

Goldcroft 10:07 04 Mar 03

Can't see it listed in Pesala's original, €dstow, but are you referring to Babelfish? I am quite fluent in French and have checked its translations into that language and it's pretty good and instantaneous. Try a translation from English to French, then retranslate to English. Quite amusing sometimes. In one email from a friend who lives in France, Babelfish quite rightly refused to try to tackle "gobsmacked" and Ringwood Best, came out as the best of Ringwood. But if you're trying to do anything simple it's adequate. A friend managed a complicated foreign hotel booking without problems and I have it listed under Favourites - or Favorites - perhaps we need an American translator.

Goldcroft 10:10 04 Mar 03

Apologies €d, but for some reason your click escaped me before I responded.

€dstow 10:55 04 Mar 03

No need to apologise. I remember Babelfish when it would only do a five (or so) word translation in/out of about five languages. We used to translate a short phrase into/out of each language then back into English (pretty much as you say but more languages) and have a good laugh.

Now it's 120 words, it's much better.

I've just been using it to translate some scientific/medical patents from German. As I said, not perfect but plenty good enough for me to do a quite reasonable English interpretation which should stand up in court.

€d

leo49 11:08 04 Mar 03

"This thread could then become a really useful resource to forum visitors."

It already exists - It's called the LINKS section of the website.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:17 04 Mar 03

:-)))))

G

cracker23 14:26 04 Mar 03

Wellllll.You learn something everyday.I've been coming here for a couple of months now and only today(cos of this thread)have I just discovered the links pages.Very good. :-))

Djohn 14:53 04 Mar 03

Big blue letters at the top of the page.

Useful links provided/recommended by, and for forum users. :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…