Used Wrong Charger for Laptop! What Have I damaged

Taff36 17:43 28 May 05

Inherited a Compaq Presario 700 which originated in the States. It came with it`s own charger and has a 100v input with 19v 3.16A Output. It has charged successfully many time in the UK with a US/UK travel adapter.

By coincidence I also had an AC Adapter for a Lexmark printer and in haste plugged this into the Presario! Input 220v Output 30v 500mA.

The Computer won`t start or charge the battery and the proper Compaq charger reacts as follows. When connected to the computer the LED flickers dimmed. When not connected but powered the LED is illuminated green OK.

How bad is that?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 28 May 05

Try powering off mains without the battery connected see what happens.

If your lucky you may have only blown the power supply unit.

Taff36 18:02 28 May 05

Nothing I`m afraid. The power LED on the AC adapter changes from green to dimmed and nothing happens to the laptop. i.e. the power buttons don`t light up and it won`t boot obviously! I think I`ve done some damage but to what extent I don`t know. Could I have blown a fuse in the laptop or have I "Fried" it? One is simple to solve and the other is not!

(Personal pride and self esteem is also damaged, not sure to what extent on both those counts either)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 28 May 05

Looks like a minimum of PSU fried your probably going to have to send it in for repair, ask for a quote and then decide if it is worth repairing

Taff36 21:26 28 May 05

Any Chance it`s not that serious? I know it`s a dumb thing to do but isn`t there some sort of protection against a fool like me?!!

rdave13 21:50 28 May 05

About the same protection as standing on your laptop first thing in the morning.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:58 28 May 05

Fuses protect against overcurrent sometimes caused by short circuits.

Over volyage protedtion is done by zenner diodesor simular in the PSU. but double the voltage will kill them.

However they may hve protected the rest of the laptop so it maywell only require a new PSU.

VoG II 22:02 28 May 05

Household contents insurance?

sinbad1 22:07 28 May 05

you may find there is an overload protection built into your lappy just a case of replacing overload protection.

still needs to go to the lappy docter may not be as bad as you think.

best to explain what has happened and gety several quotes for the repair.

good luck

beeuuem 22:30 28 May 05

It is probable you have damaged components but as a long shot disconnect the A/C power adaptor cord, remove the battery, and hold the Power button for 30 seconds. Reattach the power cord, and turn the notebook on. This will discharge and recharge the notebook system capacitors.

Good luck

Taff36 22:53 28 May 05

I think I`m getting the picture! Thanks Fruit Bat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…