Used HD space?

I recently purchased a Western Digital MY Book External HD 500GB model and it was recommended by WD that I should reformat it from FAT32 to NTFS which I have done I have double clicked on the drive there are no files but when I right click on the drive and select properties it says I have used 79MB and that I have 465GB free space. Now I knew I would not get the full 500GB because of the translation to bytes thing.

Is this normal or should I reformat it again with a full format instead of a quick format I originally done? I should also point out I formatted exactly like WD said by using Disk Management, I normally would have just right clicked on the drive in the my computer window and selected format but I thought I should do it exactly how they suggested.

Monument 07:01 08 Mar 07

500GB is really about 470GB when, as you describe you do the byte translation thingy and 500GB is probably a rounded figure anyway.

Quick format or full format makes no difference on a HDD.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…