Use XP add/remove or software own install program?

keith pbs 19:48 14 Nov 04

One of those quetions where you think you are right but ?? I have always used the installation program supplied with software to install (most autorun anyway) and also to remove it (assuming it has an uninstall).
A non technical work colleague tells me he ALWAYS uses add/remove from control panel cos Windows then knows where everything is.
The discussion was prompted by software not working on his machine.
Does it make any difference ??
I was of the opinion that Windows has enough trouble keeping track of itself....

stalion 20:07 14 Nov 04

probably a question of preference ,personally if a program has it's own uninstall I use it and do a registry clean up afterwards

sortof 22:07 14 Nov 04

I agree: use the Installation CD to install then remove using the uninstall option from start menu if the program has one; often this will launch anyway when you try to remove from add/remove. There are many reg cleaners available for free download (backup important data before any download).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…