Use spare XP Pro on friends computer?

LAP 17:09 19 Jan 08

My question is a friend has been sold a computer which has been updated from 2000 to Win XP o/s. He did not receive a disk hense he cannot get windows updates etc. Without a doubt he has been sold an illegal copy.

I have just purchase a new computer this has XP Pro o/s.

Can I give him my Win XP Pro disk + the serial number off my old computer? This computer is scrap.

If so. Is it just the case of installing XP Pro over the top?

MAJ 17:12 19 Jan 08

If it's a full XP disk, then yes. If it's an OEM XP disk, then, no.

MAJ 17:14 19 Jan 08

"If so. Is it just the case of installing XP Pro over the top?"

He'll probably need to reinstall Windows from the start.

birdface 17:15 19 Jan 08

Doubtfull.If all you have is the OEM sticker on your computer it will not work.

birdface 17:19 19 Jan 08

What makes him think that it is not a legal copy.Is he getting reminders from Microsoft to verify the Keycode.

LAP 17:20 19 Jan 08

MAJ thanks for the reply. Just looked at the disk and it states '.....was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery...'

Do I take it from this that the answer is NO?

LAP 17:22 19 Jan 08

buteman, because it states words to the effect that the copy of Win XP cannot be verfied etc.

MAJ 17:23 19 Jan 08

Answer is No, then, LAP.

Pamy 17:23 19 Jan 08

You said your riend did not have a disk, so is this your disk you are refering to?

LAP 17:25 19 Jan 08

Thanks all for your help.

I just want to clarify that My old computer that has just now gone in the bin. I have the serial number plus a disk.

My new computer also has a serial number plus a disk.

birdface 17:29 19 Jan 08

Not looking to good then.Looks as though your friend will need to purchase a proper XP PRO Disc.Shop about and you will get it cheaper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…