use old computer as backup storage

markcomp 17:59 08 Jun 05

I have an old pc running an AMD K6 processor. Rather than throwing it away, is it worth adding a 120gb hard drive for £45 and networking to the families three other computers as a backup device.
Or would it be more sensible to shell out £80 on an external hard drive backup device?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:01 08 Jun 05

Is the BIOS capable of running that size harddrive?

My old AMD K6 400Mz would only accept up to a 20G drive.

markcomp 18:06 08 Jun 05

I have no idea, how would i check?

wee eddie 21:25 08 Jun 05

Special boxes that you can install an old Hard drive and use externally, on it's own.

click here

This is I believe one of them. Save a lot of space. and easy to carry around from PC to PC.

ventanas 22:14 08 Jun 05

There's plenty on here click here as well. I have three of these caddies making it easy to use old drives for backup, and no problem with size limit. Also choice of USB2 or Firewire.

jack 08:48 09 Jun 05

I have a self powered USB caddie
It houses a 200 gb Seagate.
In the ack on the shelf above I have a collection of old drives of varying sizes- formatted and ready to go- that can be plugged into the caddy on an as and when basis to carry categorized data.
These drives [old ones] cost nothing of course.

AndySD 08:55 09 Jun 05

I use an old pc for just that..its also usefull for sharing files and drivers etc. Look to the manufacturers website as most hard drive makers have software to get arround the BIOS limitations. eg click here

markcomp 23:45 12 Jun 05

I am going to go for a caddy and see how that goes. In the interim I shall see if i can learn a bit bit and tweak the bios on the old PC.
Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…