Use internet through PC sharing Not through Router

neko 17:37 17 Sep 04

Hi all.

Set up...

PC1
Win xp Home with dialup connection to internet.

PC2
win XP Pro

Pcs connected to each other through wireless PCI cards to Wireless Linksys WRT54G Router. (no internet connection used on router)

How do I share the PC1's internet connection with PC2 through the router? I don't use the router to connect to the Net as I have to wait for broadband for a couple of months yet. The two PCs talk to each other happily. I used to have them bridged but had to remove it for Router installation.
Thanks in advance

Jeffers22 19:28 17 Sep 04

You will need to enable internet connection sharing (ICS) on the PC with the dial up modem. Follow the wizard. It should provide an option for you to create a floppy which you can take to the other machine and run on that to enable ICS.

Control Panel | Network Connections. When that window opens click on the Help menu then Help & Support Centre. ICS is under Internet connections in the top left hand box (labelled Network Connections).

neko 21:18 17 Sep 04

Thanks for replying.

I will have a play in the morning.( wife is nagging me to get off the PC) and I will post back to say how i got on

Cheers

neko 11:59 18 Sep 04

I used ICS as before but it was still not allowing the connection.

Then a brain wave! or a realisation of how dumb I was being.

The Router and ICS were both dishing out IP addresses, so I disabled the DHCP server on the router. Released and renewed the IP addresses and the ICS took over. I am now happy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…