use heuristics in AVG tick box

hugh-265156 01:46 13 Jul 03

i have noticed a strange quirk with my AVG antivirus.every so often when i open open AVG control center the use heuristics box is unchecked.i have to keep ticking it every so often.

it stays ticked for anything up to a few days and then i have to tick it again.

im using the latest version 6.0.500 and virus database 298.

just a quirk i noticed,it all works ok an has saved me a few times.

anybody else get this or similar?

The Sack 01:57 13 Jul 03

Resident shield doesnt use heuristic scaning as it causes many false positives, it is only used for a full scan :)

hugh-265156 02:00 13 Jul 03

why is there an option to tick it then?

The Sack 02:03 13 Jul 03

Cos it is free, dont worry about it life is too short.

hugh-265156 02:06 13 Jul 03

LOL!

powerless 02:08 13 Jul 03

I'm going to install AVG, thought i would tell you ;-))

The Sack 02:10 13 Jul 03

Look at it this way, have you had a virus on your PC?

In all honestly mate i have used AVG6 for nearly 4 years, the option you described has done that since day one and only once have i had a virus and it caught it as soon as i started to unzip the file, so i suppose i didnt have a virus did i? being vigilant is as imprortant as the AV program you use innit :)

The Sack 02:11 13 Jul 03

you can click here to safely test you AV software

hugh-265156 02:59 13 Jul 03

i dont need to test it.i know it works. i have never had a problem with AVG as i have said its saved me more than once before.

i would recommend it to anybody.i used to use norton and it was good to but AVG is a lot less intrusive ,it just does its job.im very happy.

it was only an observation.

The Sack 03:10 13 Jul 03

AVG wont be free for much longer so enjoy it :-
Testing it is a good idea though, people say Ah its good cos i aint never had a virus, well if you aint never had one how do you know it works?

(not aimed at you BTW)

Mango Grummit 10:45 13 Jul 03

....and, equally, if you have had one and your AV has not detected it then you don't know it doesn't work either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…