USe desktop PC hard drive in situ?

Dalglish2 20:07 25 Sep 05

Ive made the transition to a desktop-replacement latpop but still have the bones of my old desktop.
What I would like to do is to transfer some of the files from the desktop hard drive to my laptop drive without removing the desktop's hard disk.
Is this possible? What cables or software etc would I need?
Thanks guys?

LastChip 20:22 25 Sep 05

By far the easiest, is to transfer them to a USB pen drive (not some versions of Windows 98 and before). Or, you can use a network crossover cable, if you have network cards in each computer, or, you can use a parallel or serial cable and use the built in Windows utilities (Direct Connection) to do the job.

dcu11 20:27 25 Sep 05

you could buy an external enclosure for the drive, ebuyer, dabs, maplin, etc and this would "convert" the drive into a usb type external drive so you would just plug it in. Probably the easiest way

dcu11 20:29 25 Sep 05

duh, the bit "don't want to remove the hard drive" didn't register, yes, Lastchip's advice is sound, you could always burn the files to cd/dvd though

Dalglish2 20:30 25 Sep 05

top tips thanks to you both

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…