Use cd - rw as extra hard drive

nagis 15:11 03 Jan 06

In the past I am sure that you could use a cd-rw in the same way as you would a hard drive. You could drag a file to the disk and it would be automatically written there. Equally, you could simply delete a file if it was not required.
Can you still do this? If so, how? Do I need to format the cd-rw in a particular way?

nagis 15:13 03 Jan 06

Perhaps I should have said that I use XP with SP2 and burn disks with Nero 6

SG Atlantis® 15:26 03 Jan 06

do you mean RAM disks?

VoG II 15:34 03 Jan 06

You should create a Multisession CD for independent files.

pj123 15:46 03 Jan 06

To do what you are suggesting you need to use CD-RW disks and format them using Nero InCD.

Not a good idea though as CD-RW disks are not very reliable. I now do not use them at all.

It is generally classed as using a CD as a rather large floppy disk as opposed to a hard disk.

Personally I wouldn't go there anymore.

CDRs are so cheap these days and a bit more stable. Just use them as a multisession disk and when it is full start another one.

woodchip 15:53 03 Jan 06

To do the above you use Packet writing software as InCD or Direct CD. You have to first Format a Disc, you can then use as you say in Windows Explorer also add drive to the send to Folder. As above You can only remove from a CDRW you can delete from a CDR but it does not remove the Files only the Index to the file. These discs can only be read by the same software on a computer

nagis 15:56 03 Jan 06

Thanks for the information guys.
Looks as if I should think closely about using this method if cd-rws could be a problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…