//some 3rd party need geo

usb's not working?

diesel1 15:46 13 May 04

am running windows 98 se when i plug in a modem or scanner into either of my usbs windows is not detecting the devices,how do i rectify this . Please help am new to computers so any help would be greatly appreciated .Thanks!

recap 16:12 13 May 04

Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager/USB Controllers and check to see if the devices are working correctly. To check these Double Click each in turn and on the General tab it will show you if it is working correctly.

diesel1 16:38 13 May 04

Does not list usb controllers does list ports (COM&LPT)says they are working properly?

Quiller. 18:24 13 May 04

You will have to enable the USB ports in the bios.

To enter the bios start the computer and keep tapping the delete button. This should bring up the bios, also called the cmos.

The screen should be blue with white text. Use the up and down arrows to get to Integrated Peripherals. Click on this and look for a line that says usb host controller or similar. It should say disabled next to it. To enable it, scroll down to it, so it is highlighted and use the PgUp or PgDn to change it to enabled.

If it is not listed there look for a heading of Onchip Device Function. Open this and then look for the above.

When you have done this press the F10 key and enter.

The machine will reboot and ask for the windows 98 disk so it can enable the usb ports.

When you do have your ports working, install the software for the devices before you plug them into the usb slot.

diesel1 19:13 13 May 04

bsod just to say thank you for your help in resolving my problem now working greatly appreciated.

Quiller. 19:42 13 May 04

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…