USB/Ethernet ports not working

fiton 21:00 31 Aug 06

Dell Dimension 8300
Intel
Pentium R CPU 2.60GHz
Windows XP Home SP 2

Hi: please assume a a non existant level of computer knowledge.

I was connected to the internet Saturday morning. No probelms noted. Logged off, switched off the comp and did not go back 'til later in the day. I could not connect therefore assumed it was the ISP. Left it 'til the next day, still not working. Contacted ISP who initially told me it was phone line fault but later contacted me to say it wasn't. No advice offered. Router/hub working fine, comp working fine. Just no connection. Changed to secondary comp (same spec more or less), internet works fine.

Anti virus, few days previously, had notified of a trojan but said it was quarentined. Not sure if the two events connected but, it appears that ALL the USB ports and ethernet port are not working.

Has anyone got any ideas? As noted, I have no knowledge of anything technical therefore would I be better taking it to a shop?

Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:05 31 Aug 06

Right click My Computer - Manage - Device Manager

Are there any Red circles or Yellow exclamation marks against your USB / Ethernet ports?

skidzy 21:09 31 Aug 06

"Changed to secondary comp (same spec more or less), internet works fine."

While still connected through the router ? If so:

Sounds like you need to configure your firewall to allow your isp address.Maybe an update has changed a setting.

ed-0 21:15 31 Aug 06

If they are no " Red circles or Yellow exclamation marks " as per Fruit Bat /\0/
try a system restore to a day before the trouble.

Any bad thunderstorms, Sat PM onwards?

fiton 21:15 31 Aug 06

@Fruit Bat: can't quickly do that as I would have to change comps again. Will try at w/e. Thanks

@skidzy: there was no update between turning off and back on. Again though I will try your suggestion when I swap back at the w/e.

I'll let you know and thanks for the very quick response.

fiton 20:11 30 Sep 06

Sorry about the delay in getting back re this problem.

The second computer died on me and I cannot get that working, different story. I have managed to get the internet working through the first computer but only through the LAN setting. I tried the advice offered but that made no difference. Is this an ISP problem or still a comp problem? I'm at a loss now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5