USB2.0 Scanner and Laptop

fitshase 13:48 01 Jul 04

I am thinking of buying the Canon LiDE 80 scanner which is USB2.0. However, my laptop only has the old USB ports. I know that USB2.0 devices are backward compatible and will run on old USB ports but will I there be much difference in the scanner?

Would it be worth buying a USB2.0 PCMCIA card to use with the scanner?

Any advice is welcome

Regards

Fitshase

vinnyT 15:12 01 Jul 04

I really don't think that there would be a big difference in speed, I've not noticed much diff. with my printers.

Even if there is a noticeble speed increase, only you can judge if it would be worth the expense of the usb2 pcmcia card. How much scanning do you do?

Hope this helps.

Quiller. 15:23 01 Jul 04

A good post from GANDALF <|:-)> about usb 2.0

click here

Although I do use an old laptop hard drive in a usb 2.0 caddy, this works really fast. I use it for data transfers and can copy 700Mb in less than 2 minutes.

Timmy!! 15:26 01 Jul 04

Personally I'd go for the USB2.0 PCMCIA card.

Whilst i'm sure the 1.1 is fine for printing, it has been for years after all!! I think a scanner is a while different kettle of fish.

A printer is built to have info being queued up, where as the Lide 80 will want to work at its own speed. Its high res will mean large amounts of data in one quick burst.

I have the Lide 80, and come to think of it i seem to remember it saying in the manual that it wasn't backwardly compatible due to the large amount of data involved.

The ports are definatly backwardly compatible but thats not to say the perpetuals are too...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…