USB2 for Win ME

johnem 21:28 07 Apr 03

Hi gang, back for some more info. Home system is an Evesham Athlon 1400 running Win ME with 2 built in USB1.1 sockets along with a Firewire socket. I am thinking of obtaining a new scanner with USB 2 connectivity. Is it practical/possible to simply upgrade by buying a USB 2 PCI card and fitting it or will there be a conflict problem with the existing USB. I am certain that the existing USB set up is part of the Asus A7A266 mobo.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:37 07 Apr 03

The scanner will run happily on USB 1.1 and nor will there be much difference in speed. You shouldn't need to upgrade to USB2 unless you are editing videos or transferring gigabytes of info on a daily basis.

G

flecc 21:42 07 Apr 03

I agree with Gandalf, USB 2 gains you little with most scanners.

You can add a USB2 card if you wish though, the Belkin range includes USB2 drivers for ME.

Dabs or Simply stock the Belkin range, PC World mainly have the least satisfactory Belkin card, a two port with a hub included at an expensive near £70.

The two best Belkin cards are the five port and the model with three ports plus two firewire.

johnem 21:49 07 Apr 03

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)> and flecc, I have seen the cards that you mention and will possibly try one at a later date. I take it from your "no adverse comment" re conflict that ME should hopefully sort itself out. J.

johnem 21:49 07 Apr 03

Thanks GANDALF <|:-)> and flecc, I have seen the cards that you mention and will possibly try one at a later date. I take it from your "no adverse comment" re conflict that ME should hopefully sort itself out. John.

flecc 20:58 08 Apr 03

I've got the 5 port Belkin card on my computer that has an ME partition and it works perfectly with it and installed without any difficulty.

Be carefull to precisely follow the handbook when installing though. It's important that you install the driver from it's disc BEFORE you fit the card.

AubreyS 21:07 08 Apr 03

I run ME and have installed a USB2 card (cheap from Maplins) I've had no problems at all and it works very well with my Maxtor USB2 hard drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…