USB2 versus IEEE1394

bussb 15:23 02 Sep 03

I am considering purchasing a DV camcorder. I have two queries. 1. which will be more beneficial USB2 or Firewire, or do they have both options included. 2. I need to be able to transfer analogue from my old camera to the DV camera. Any suggestions of models would be appreciated up to around £500. Using a capture card brings next to usless results.
Many thanks.

Patr100 15:59 02 Sep 03

While USB2 is certainly the preferred option for most other PC peripherals, firewire is still the standard for DV editing and make sure your cam has DV in as well as out.

LAP 20:26 02 Sep 03

I can only tell you what I do.. I use USB for stills and Mpegs and Firewire for video. As for your 'analogue' I record from our video recorder or TV direct to my DV camcorder via a scart connector so you could do the same. Best..Lap..

phredd 21:48 02 Sep 03

Definitely Firewire for video capture. You might consider a Sony Digital 8 camcorder. This will also play your old analogue tapes (provided they are 8mm tapes) and you can transfer the video to computer and then back to whatever medium you choose and the result will be digital.

researcher 22:59 02 Sep 03

Most DV video cameras use Firewire for output.

You can input to the DV camera using s-vidio and stereo phono leads if there is no DV input.

Go to Pricerunner.com look up DV cameras and their compare table will tell you what inputs/outputs each camera has - sometimes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…