USB2 removable drive not recognised

Nigel-331402 09:59 16 Nov 05

I've recently had my PC upgraded from Windows2000 to XP Professional (not my decision) and now my USB removable drive is not recognised.

The memory stick (PNY 256MB) works fine on other machines (XP and W2K) so it's not that.

When I plug the device in the PC knows it's been inserted and the device manager says it has no problems. The only message I get is one sayinmg that the device can run faster - well it would if my PC had a USB2 port.

The problem is that Windows Explorer doesn't recognise it. It did once but it overlayed the USB device over a mapped network drive so it was displayed as a network drive but was actually the memory stick.

I've got a number of network drives mapped along with my my CD drive but there are still several drive letters available.

I've tried a USB hard drive which seems to work fine.

Anybody got any ideas on this ?

Skyver 10:05 16 Nov 05

Does it show up on the Disk Management screen ?

Jackcoms 10:17 16 Nov 05

Or in 'My Computer'?

Nigel-331402 10:18 16 Nov 05

Yes it does. It shows up as being drive F: but drive F is already mapped to a network drive.

By remapping my network drive F to another drive the problem seems to be resolved so it looks like its a problem with Windows.

Anyway Skyver, thanks for reminding me about the Disk Management Screen and taking the time to respond.

I'll mark this as resolved but if you've got any further ideas then please feel free to pass them on.

Nigel-331402 10:19 16 Nov 05

Guess who forgot to tick the Resolved button before pressing submit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…