USB2 PCMCIA compatability

harlow 09:36 01 Dec 06

Toshiba satellite 1800-712. Windows XP Home. SP2.
This is an oldish laptop but which would be more useful with USB2. I get conflicting results from Toshiba forum and wonder if anyone has had any joy when trying to install USB2 with a CP Card.
The manual (Circa 2002) says "PC slots support 16-bit Cards including CardBus cards which support the new 32-bit PC Cards" etc..
Grateful for any info.

ed-0 10:07 01 Dec 06

" including CardBus cards which support the new 32-bit PC Cards "

If it supports 32bit cards, it will support USB2.0 PCMCIA cards.

Why not buy your PCMCIA card from maplins electronics. If by the slightest of reasons it does not work, they will happily refund your money with in 28 days { it was the last time I checked one of the receipts ]. As long as you keep the packaging and the receipt.

ed-0 10:24 01 Dec 06

This click here is on special offer at the moment, £10 off, down to £14.99.

harlow 10:45 01 Dec 06

Thanks ed-O
I note that there is a 4 port PCMCIA CardBus USB2 card for sale. Would this lead to heat build up on a laptop which is possibly not designed for this amount of input or am I pushing it a bit.

ed-0 10:58 01 Dec 06

" Would this lead to heat build up on a laptop which is possibly not designed for this amount of input or am I pushing it a bit."

if you were to use all 4 ports at once, then yes. What maybe also a contributing factor is the amount of power they will sap from the system. Each port should just draw a maximum of 500Ma per port, for un-powered usb devices. This will cause extra heat as you have pointed out, it may draw to much extra power from usb voltage side.

I personally would stick with 2, I can't think of much to use to use 4 ports on the go? If you use more than two it's likely you have it on a fixed location [ table ]. If you were to use more than 2, I would think that a powered USB2.0 hub would aid the lappy in both heat and power.

ed-0 11:00 01 Dec 06

" This will cause extra heat as you have pointed out, it may draw to much extra power from usb voltage side."

This will cause extra heat as you have pointed out, it may draw to much extra power from usb voltage side, if you use it just off the battery. Sometimes you find that you need to use the external power source to fire up some of these PCMCIA usb cards.

harlow 11:05 01 Dec 06

Thanks again ed-O
The 4 hub PC card was powered but you are correct, with 2 USB1 and 2 USB2 ports the spare laptop should be quite adequate, especially with power.

harlow 13:51 03 Dec 06

Update. Ordered 2 port USB 2.0 Cardbus PC Card from Maplins on Friday pm. It was delivered Saturday am and works just fine.
Thanks again.

ed-0 18:16 03 Dec 06

thats good news, thanks for letting us know, hope you enjoy your faster USB2.0 ports.

You now also know, that the lappy should take any 32bit card.;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…