USB2 or USB1.1 ?

douglas1973 23:40 14 Nov 04

When my son had a USB2 card installed with 4 ports(see USB1 AND USB2 subject now closed)I took the opportunity of having one installed on my computer also which has a MSI KT4V-L (MS-6712) motherbord with 6 USB ports. So in total I now have 10 USB ports of which 8 are utilised.
Some of the devices connected to the ports seem to run rather slowly (e.g 2 external drives and a scanner. I have a feeling that some are not USB2 and that perhaps the four on the installed card are not USB2. How can I tell?
The Device Manager records the following:
Universal Serial Bus Controllers
USB2.0 Root Hub (2x)
USB Printing Support (x2)
USB Root Hub (5x)
Via Rev5 or later USB Universal Host Companion Controller (x2)
Via Rev5 or later Universal Host Controller (3x)
Via USB2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (2x)

Whether this information help you to solve my query, I don't know.
Entering Properties I note that they all state that the device is working properly.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:44 14 Nov 04

USB2 will make no discernible difference unless you are video-editing.

G

douglas1973 23:48 14 Nov 04

How can that be Gandalf? I thought USB2 was 40 time faster than USB1.1 so surely my hard drives will work faster?

CurlyWhirly 01:28 15 Nov 04

I have an external USB 2.0 hard drive which I use for back-up purposes and I always run it on my 'Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller' (i.e. USB 2.0 port) and it DOES indeed work quicker.

In actual fact in the hard drive manual it states that it is RECOMMENDED to run at USB 2.0 speed to get the MOST out of the hard drive's performance.

ventanas 08:32 15 Nov 04

GANDALF <|:-)> is correct. Most USB 2 peripherals have no speed gain running through USB2. External hard drives will be faster, but such as scanners, printers etc will have no gain at all. This is down to the speed of the hardware, and nothing to do with USB2.

Stuartli 08:57 15 Nov 04

A snall point - a scanner should have its own dedicated USB port and not used via a hub, including powered hub types.

Another small point - USB2 is backward compatible with USB1.

douglas1973 09:32 15 Nov 04

I appreciate all the responses I have received but I still want to know how many USB2 ports I have (and how do I know which are USB2 on the back of my computer?).

CurlyWhirly 11:41 15 Nov 04

click here

See article entitled 'How do I know if my PC has USB 2.0?' (second article)

douglas1973 13:26 15 Nov 04

Thanks very much CurlyWhirly. Just what I wanted.

BillEmm 13:56 15 Nov 04

Your six on-board ports are all USB 2 (and USB 1.1). What is in question is your card. Normally I would expect to see the word 'enhanced' in the Device manager description and it only occurs on the motherboard Via controller label.

If the devices that seem slow are connected to the card ports then try each of them on a native PC port.

If you are using WinXP and have SP2 installed then there are some problems with USB PCI cards in this update. The solution is to uninstall the card and re-install using your card manufacturers USB 2 drivers.

It seems that if SP2 does not recognise the card it defaults to using USB 1.1 drivers.

Bill

Terry Brown 14:16 15 Nov 04

As you have 10 usb ports connected, of which 8 are in use, Is your power supply adequate for the load, as this may affect the performance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…