USB2 or PCI 4 camera video card?

wint 11:49 12 Mar 08

Hello.

I can't decide which to go for as a security recorder on a dedicated PC on a network.

Both appear to do the same thing and have similar software but one is PCI and the other is USB 2.

click here

click here

What are the disadvantages of the USB device over the PCI? The USB will be easier to install, although the PCI isn't dificult and the USB is, temporarily, cheaper.

Any input will be greatfully received.

Wint

Totally-braindead 12:07 12 Mar 08

The PCI one takes its power seperatly from the motherboard whereas a USB one takes its power from the USB ports and is shared over all of the USB. That to me would be the only real difference I would think.

If its some sort of cabled system then this could be important as the signal loss on a USB system could mean, if the cables are long, that it doesn't work. Personally if I was setting up a permanent system I would prefer to use the PCI unit as it wouldn't be sharing its power from the USB together with anything else USB you have.

But then again thats just my slant on it and I haven't done anything like this.

wint 12:27 12 Mar 08

Thanks for that.

The 3 cameras are each 12V powered from their own power supplies. There will be no other device attached to the PC (AMD 2400 with 1GB RAM & XP).

I am more tempted to the PCI but not really sure why...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…