USB2 Hard disk works in Linux but not in Windows

fieldyweb 11:58 01 Jan 05

Before i start this thread, let me provide some background. the device causing a problem is a Freecom FDH-1 40GB External USB Hard disk, attached toa USB 2.0 port on a Toshiba Satellite 2430. the hard disk has been working fine on this PC, an Acer Desktop PC, and a Laptop i have just sold which i build myself, for over 2yrs... The hard disk contains a hefty collection of MP3's some 5000, so i'm a bit reluctant to format it, and don't think its faulty...

when i attach it to the Toshiba, the PC under windows kicks out a Device\Harddisk2\DR5 Timed out message, and the event viewer displays the messages

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at click here.

if i keep clicking on try again/continue i get

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 51
Source: Disk
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see click here.

Now, my first instinct was oh bugger my hard disk is dead.. there goes my MP3 collection, but my technical support background kicked in, and i rebooted into Linux (Fedora RC3) and mounted the Hard disk (Fat3) and its ll there, no errors, nothing... Works PERFECTLY....

So back to winows, and the internet, I updated the USB Root Hub Drivers, I turned off the power saving feture, I figured thaat the bios was ok, as i have been using the drive for months and not changed anything in the bios, but just in cast i tried with and without legacy usb support, the bios itself is fairly light on options...

Since this has happened i have not had a chance to try it on any other PC the drive that is) however if it does work, i will backup the MP3 files, format the drive, and try again.. My question is two fold...

1) What the #$%# is Windows doing when i attach the drive, Linux mounts it and sees it, what little bit of extra information is windows looking for from a PNP USB device?

2) Having researched this problem, its become very evidant that support for microsoft Windows XP is not very good, i've been using Pc's for 20 years, and well, I honestly feel the support for linux is far better, maybe its because of real people write the code, so they can fiddle with it...

Anyway point 2 was a personal gripe, anyone have any clues? Ideas?

In addition to this earlier today i plugged the drive in to the USB Hub, removed the driver from device manager, and with NO DRIVER listed for the hard disk in device manger it worked fine... Up came auto play and away we go.

this is a FRESH copy of winXP SP2 I have virus chacked it with Norton AND MCAfee, i have run Adaware and Spybot Seasrch and destroy on the system.. and now i am finally going mad...

fieldyweb 12:06 01 Jan 05

Something else worth noting, i have just plugged the HDD into a Mac and it works oon that to, straight away, so its just windows that has a problem

woodchip 12:31 01 Jan 05

What is the file format of the drive you should be Fat32 to use on the above

fieldyweb 15:05 01 Jan 05

Yes it is Fat32, I don't know if i pointed out, maybe i didn't the drive was actually working in windows on this PC.

I have a horrible feeling there is some spyware or malware on the dammed thing, i downloaded 2 files for converting AVI to Mov before the problem started, the problem is i can't fet the damm thing working now to run a check on it...

bremner 15:16 01 Jan 05

This might is the MSKB on the subject (I think it is in geekspeak though)

http: // support.microsoft.com/?id=244780 take the spaces out each side of the //

Found quite a bit on this via Google. A common cure seems to be a reinstall or updating of the motherboard chipset drivers.

fieldyweb 15:25 01 Jan 05

I would usually agree about the updating of any drivers, had it been that the device has been working beofre on thsi PC, however i will attempt it now, and let you know what happens.

the "Geekspeak" was exactly that, microsoft basically using a lot of words to say nothing to useful, sometimes i think thier marketing department has a direct line to its support centre...

I figured that if i wrote something which everone from a grandfather to a mechanical engineer was using, i would actually put in meaningful error messages. Its not like there isn't enought space on the O/S install Cd..

LinuxPenguin 17:46 01 Jan 05

windows has aproblem with hardware, very little hardware works PROPERLY.

id advise a driver update, thats about all you can do

CurlyWhirly 17:50 01 Jan 05

Windows has a problem with hardware, very little hardware works PROPERLY

EVERY item of hardware works okay on my PC system with XP installed, and it has done now for the last 3 years apart from a few minor glitches!

LinuxPenguin 00:02 02 Jan 05

minor glitches...

lolol

Hardware tends to work better more efficiently and faster in linux. Especially with creative sound cards... windows has problems with drivers and stuff

CurlyWhirly 00:43 02 Jan 05

Hardware tends to work better more efficiently and faster in linux. Especially with creative sound cards... windows has problems with drivers and stuff.

I will agree with you there as I had to go back to onboard sound as the Creative Audigy soundcard I bought kept 'crackling' and there was NOTHING I could do about it.
I even tried a PCI Latency patch but this didn't work either but I don't blame Windows, I blame Creative as after researching the problem I found out that by default, Creative soundcards have their settings on TURBO MODE and there is NO way to disable this.

As you are so keen on Linux, is this why you call yourself LinuxPenguin? lol
By the way I have never used Linux, so I don't know what it's like as an operating system?

fieldyweb 05:55 02 Jan 05

Well i use both, im an RHCE and i can tell you Linux certainly has its faults, sometimes it like going back to the dark ages of DOS, but then Linux was never designed to be all things to all men like Windows XP is. Linux is primerally a server based platform, where there is not much use for the plethora of multimedia items WinXP has to deal with, and it was NEVER designed to work on Laptops, the fact that it does what it does is a major achivement, however it shouldn't be seen as being a windows Desktop replacement..

Now back to my problem please,

I updated ALL the drivers and still no joy...

this is definatly a WinXP problem as i have discovered that the hard disk works on Win2000, Win 98SE and Win ME perfectly well, but will not work on 15 different WinXP setups. (one of the joys of living in bangkok is the Large ICT Malls we have here)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…