USB2 full-speed & hi-speed

The Belarussian Mafia 21:48 30 Apr 04

Is USB2 "full-speed" an old standard? If I buy a USB2 PCI card & cable, can I assume they are the "hi-speed" version?

fsbb 22:02 30 Apr 04

Manufacturers describe (label) their products in various ways. High Speed, Full Speed, Enhanced Speed etc. If it is a USB 2 PCI card is just that irrespective of speed description.

I believe I am right in saying 98SE or later Windows versions support USB 2. If installed with Win 98 the card will only run at USB 1 speed.

Djohn 22:04 30 Apr 04

High speed is USB 1.1

Full speed is USB 2.0

The Belarussian Mafia 22:29 30 Apr 04

Thanks to both of you for your comments. What Djohn said is what I also understood - until I read an article this evening in a computer mag that has the following: "If you're planning on doing high-resolution scans you also need to consider the interface. If it's USB1.1 or USB2 full-speed it will transfer data at only 11Mbits/s... You'll need a USB2 Hi-speed interface, which works at 480Mbits/s." I was surprised at this as it doesn't look like a typo (as reference to "USB2 full-speed" is preceeded by the word "or").

The Belarussian Mafia 22:46 30 Apr 04

I think I've just found out part of the answer to my own question. Check this out click here
Truly bizarre! Hopefully we can assume anything now called USB2 really is what it sounds like.

hector 911 00:50 01 May 04

you can set in Bios on some motherboards the USB2 to full speed 11Mbs or Hi speed 480Mbs

The Belarussian Mafia 10:28 01 May 04

hector 911 - I suppose that explains why they provide different drivers for different boards with PCI USB2 cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…