USB2 Card Reader Problem

Sibbo 12:48 26 Dec 04

I have a SanDisk USB2 Compact Flash card reader that is not aleays recognised by my PC. Initially when I plugged it into either one of the 2 USB ports on the front of my PC it was instantly recognised, more often than not now Windows tells me that it is not recognised and may be faulty. At first, I thought it was a problem with the port itself (the PC tower is new), but when I tried a game pad in the same ports there was no problem. I've since tried the reader in one of the rear USB ports and it works first time. I then tried it in the front again and it worked on two insertions before the problem re-occured. Any ideas? Also, is it ok to leave the reader plugged into the tower (rear USB port) on a permanent basis, bearing in mind I usually have to "eject" the reader first which means that it no longer appears in my computer.

Carl @ UD 13:03 26 Dec 04

This sounds like a USB port problem. Make sure the motherboard drivers are upto date and are installed correctly. Often mobo co., will update BIOS`s to resolve this type of thing too. Updating BIOS is not recommended to amateurs unless you think you competent.

Yes you can leave the reader attached. Do not disconnect it unless the machine is off or you have used the Windows utility to disconnect it.

Sibbo 13:09 26 Dec 04

If it were a driver problem wouldn't the device fail to be recognised on all USB ports?

Carl @ UD 13:17 26 Dec 04

The Motherboard drivers contain chipset drivers which drive the USB functions of your mobo. If this is conflicting or other it could cause this type of problem.

I have seen this often where if the USB device is not recognised pulling the plug and reinserting will temporarily solve the issue. Generally it`s resolved by either Mobo drivers or BIOS update.

Sibbo 15:39 26 Dec 04

I've just dug out an old USB cable and tried that and all now seems ok. Thanks

Sibbo 11:53 29 Dec 05

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…